LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Microwave fan turns on when door opens (RVM1435WH)

skald89

I have had the microwave for about 20 years. When i open the door the fan turns on. It sounds like the same fan when the microwave is running. 

Model: RVM1435WH

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skald89

• Chat_in_FL

• A & G Enterprises

• exo3connect

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can't fix it, should I replace it or ignore the issue till the microwave stops functioning? Right now it works and we have no other real issues with the model. The door handle is half broken but with some tape, it works with no problems. 

If I do have to replace it, how do I figure out models I can replace it with and ones I can replace on my own?

Microwave repairs are not for the DIYer due to the high voltages. That being said, sounds like a door (primary) switch issue. Replacement microwaves are pretty much standard size, so shop for the features that you want and/or need in the replacement.... At 20 years old, it owes you nothing...

Edited by Chat_in_FL

Do I even need to repair it though? It has served me well for this long and if its working I would rather keep it. I don't need to spend money on something I don't actually need while adding a working unit to our landfills. 

use it till it dies than bless it cause the new one you will buy will have a short life

4 minutes ago, A & G Enterprises said:

use it till it dies than bless it cause the new one you will buy will have a short life

How long do the new ones last on average? 

This was one is 13-14 years old. I thought about it and it can't be 20 years yet. 

8 hours ago, skald89 said:

Do I even need to repair it though? It has served me well for this long and if its working I would rather keep it. I don't need to spend money on something I don't actually need while adding a working unit to our landfills. 

That is entirely up to you. Microwaves these days are pretty much disposable... They are not a DIY type of thing, unless you know what you are doing. Repairing them by hiring a pro is cost prohibitive in that the cost of repair is often equal to, or greater than, replacement cost.  That being said, door switch repair is a fairly easy fix IF you know how to troubleshoot them...

How do I do that? I know nothing about how to fix or test microwaves. 

Ive been paying more attention to what happens. When I open the door, the fan turns on and the plate spins for 1-3 seconds and then stops. 

You could pay a service technician to diagnose the problem. If you don’t have access to a multimeter or don’t know how to check a door switch then don’t touch it. Microwaves are dangerous for people who don’t know how to test them. Just like @Chat_in_FL says. It may be worth just replacing because the repairs are expensive if it isn’t a simple fix