LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Replace built in microwave???

zdog

Will a new micro wave and trim kit fit this hole.  18 3/4 high 24 3/4 wide and 23 deep.  This is a 30 year old GE Monogram unit that still works but needs to be updated.  I have been to Lowes and Home Depot but no body can find a trim kit and microwave to fit.  There is at least and inch that can be widened on each side and top if needed.  It looks to me that all of todays units are not tall enough to fill this hole.

This is my go to web site for appliance help so I have my fingers crossed.

I have a picture but I can’t see how to post since I don’t have a place to park it.

zdog

Sorry I did not list all the particulars.  This is not an over the stove unit but rather built into a wall of cupboards.  What I need help with is finding a microwave and trim kit to fit the existing hole which is an odd size for today’s microwaves.  The unit that occupies this space  now is a GE Monogram microwave/convection oven.

Like all kitchen updates trying to fit something new into old your best option is to get a new panel made by a cabinet maker to suit the new trim kit 

its the one big big reason I dislike anything that’s a custom fit 

as you could face the same again in the future 

Edited by J5*
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, J5* said:

Like all kitchen updates trying to fit something new into old your best option is to get a new panel made by a cabinet maker to suit the new trim kit 

its the one big big reason I dislike anything that’s a custom fit 

as you could face the same again in the future 

Thanks.....that’s kinda what I was affraid of.  I guess the other option is to take out the old microwave and mounting bracket and just set a counter top version in the hole and get on with life.    This would work except for the wife......

In addition , you’re 30 year old m/w may would outlast any new one .  As j5  was saying, built in things can be a real pain when they don’t last but 2 or 3 years.   

4 minutes ago, evaappliance said:

In addition , you’re 30 year old m/w may would outlast any new one .  As j5  was saying, built in things can be a real pain when they don’t last but 2 or 3 years.   

Ain’t that the truth.

1 hour ago, evaappliance said:

What’s even worse was the customer in the shop blowing up that the new microwave won’t work with the old trim kit and that the new trim kit cost more than the new microwave 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J5* said:

What’s even worse was the customer in the shop blowing up that the new microwave won’t work with the old trim kit and that the new trim kit cost more than the new microwave 

I have a plan.....the current opening is too large in both higth and width.  I figure I can close the opening with tile to the dimentions needed for the trim kit so that I can use the replacement trim kit and microwave and not have to return them....

Ya!!!!