Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bosch she53tf5uc/01 dishwasher will not end cylce. Stays at 1 minute showing and water does not drain out.

Junflyer

Chances are good that the heat relay in the control has failed. Please message me for more information as there is a simple upgrade that can be performed on the control that will eliminate this issu(as oppsed to buying a new control which will eventually have the same problem :-) ).

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, MrMark said:

Chances are good that the heat relay in the control has failed. Please message me for more information as there is a simple upgrade that can be performed on the control that will eliminate this issu(as oppsed to buying a new control which will eventually have the same problem ? ).

Hi MrMark.    Is there or would there be an error code that would pop up for this condition and he error code would point toward a control problem. ??    Or is there no error code that would come up for this particular issue in question. ??

There would be an error code, but the firmware in the control assumes the there is nothing wrong with the control.

Bosch has even identified the problem in their service manuals, telling technicians that if they find a burned solder joint on the circuit board to "do not resolder". Solder joints under relays don't fail unless a) they were cold solder joints or, b) the relay was not properly rated for the duty.

I first researched all this when our Bosch dw had long running cycles and no heat. Opening up the control, I found the burned place described in the service manuals. I resoldered the burned joint, thinking that it was caused by a cold solder joint. Less than 60 days later, it failed again. It was then that I spent the time to really research what was going on, and found that an under-rated relay was being used. The relay is rated for 10 amps, but the heater pulls 10.9 amps@120VAC (re: see Ohms law for an 11 Ohm resistance). For all intents and purposes, the relay's best day is before it saw it's first cycle, and will degrade with each and every subsequent cycle. As it degrades, the contacts increase in resistance to the point that the conducted heat from the relay contacts conducts internally inside the relay to the point that it melts the solder at the circuit board. The result - not all faulty controls will have visible signs of failure (burned board), and running a test routine will indicate a heating problem, but will not point to the control.

I've replaced about 200 heat relays in controls over the past 8 years. If the board isn't burned, I usually tear the case off to inspect the contacts. I've only had 1 or 2 that didn't have burned up contacts (and it turned out they had other issues unrelated - but I helped the owner through those issues and we resolved the problem).

Sorry, ,long answer to your question - but the firmware doesn't consider there could be something wrong within the controller.

• Like 1

great stuff  MrMark  So from what you said they have not come up with an updated board yet. Seems odd they haven't rectified the issue with a new substituted control.  I like your approach though in helping the consumer.  Good job man.  I myself just cant find enough money and time in that particular repair geographically in my area. Nor do I have enough experience to quickly do that repair effectively to make a profit.  I have repaired many frigidaire controls and dryer controls with a quick solder joint  from a bad contact but that's about as far as I will go. I explain to the customer that they either spend $375 to $450 depending on the new control costs  or $195.00 for a soldered joint repair and they will opt for the quick soldered joint repair.   I havent had any call backs yet on the soldered joint repairs but thats not to say that nothing happened and they may have just replaced the machine a few months down the line. I will always tell them please call me if they have any problems with the repair in the next 30 days and if they do i tell them i will refund their repair costs minus the service call charge.   Good night Brother its getting late . Take care  MrMark  I will talk to you on the big job. ?

My Bosch had this issue 6 years ago. Replaced the relay with a R46-5D12-6 and solved the problem. Almost 12 yrs old and going strong...knock on wood.

@Scotland,

Good info on the relay but all should beware - Bosch uses different heater relays depending on the control (or model of the dishwasher).