Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Gas flex line BTU rating vs. Range rating

tflatebo

We just got a new gas stove (We got an American Range ARR 530), I have hooked up all of our previous dryers and ranges so figured this would be simple, but I have run into two issues:

1. The BTU/hr rating is much higher than our previous range, and more than the flex line they sell at Home Depot
  2. The gas inlet on the range is way up almost to the top of the unit
BTU and gas flex line

Our new stove's rating in the manual is 113,000 BTU (even though if I add up all of the burners and burners it is only 96,000). As I went to go buy a new flex gas line I noticed that the 5/8" OD line at 48" long is only rated for 106,000 BTU/hr. 

Would this be a problem to just use this size and length line?

Length of flex line

The gas inlet for the range is 30" off of the floor, and the gas valve from the house supply is a few inches off of the floor. So with a 48" line, I would have at most about 16" to pull the stove out from the wall to access the shutoff valve. Disconnecting the flex line likely wouldn't be too hard since the access door is up at the top, but I would have to climb onto the counter to get at it.

The previous stove had it's gas inlet on the bottom under the oven, so this is pretty different for me. I have no problem calling a plumber if I *have to* but would like to be able to get this done myself as it is the weekend and my wife would like to have a stove.

What do people think about the BTU rating of the flex line and only being able to pull the stove out 16" or so?

Screenshot-2019-01-19-at-22-37-21.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tflatebo

• evaappliance

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response.

Another question:

The gas inlet for the range is a 90 degree street valve. Can/should I run a black pipe down behind the shroud and present a fitting at the bottom of the back cover? Seems like that would help with any length issues but it wouldn't be secured to the appliance, as I don't see a way to do that.

Is this intended to be a flex line all the way up to that street valve?

IMG-2009.jpg

Thank you again for replying, I really appreciate the help!

So then my target is a 1" OD flex line at 72" length, which looks like it should be rated for at least 172,000 BTU/hr. 

Does that sound right?

Also, do plumbing supply shops usually carry these? Or would an appliance parts place be the place to look for this?

Most of the time plumbing supply places do but places like Home Depot and lowes will have them.  You won’t regret getting the longer line.  Don’t forget that if you are not on natural gas you will have to get your stove converted 

Thank you! It is a natural gas line to the range.

I did quite the tour of home depots and Menard's (I am in Minneapolis, MN) yesterday with no luck. They only had ones up to 5/8" OD, and nothing longer than 48". I can see that home depot has what I am looking for on their website to order, but I was hoping to get one tomorrow so we could be back up and running a little sooner than the week it takes to get Home Depot to deliver that part.

Also, with that flex line, it seems like I would need a 3/4" flare fitting to 1/2" MID to join into the input on the range. Home depot didn't have that in store and it doesn't look like it comes with the flex line on their site. I have to assume that is a more common fitting for a plumbing supply shop, Menard's had very limited 3/4" brass fittings.

I will head out to Lowe's and see if they have what I need.

I really appreciate the help!

Your welcome, glad you don’t have to fool with converting it .  A line for a gas water heater may also be a option !

As a final follow-up, I had my regular plumber come out and inspect the total run of the gas supply line, and give advice on the installation of the range.

He said that the inspectors here in Minneapolis do in fact require that the shutoff be behind the range, not in a cabinet. Also, my 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID gas supply line is rated well enough (over 100,000 BTU) for my stove and would work fine. I ended up hooking it up myself with a 1/2" ID flex line and everything is hunky-dory. Thanks to everyone for the advice!