Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

portable induction cooktop effect on gas cooktop.

ingvark

My tenant asked me to look at her gas cook-top because the knobs were stuck and could not be rotated. I've never seen any thing like this. The knobs can't be pulled off without using a pry-bar and they  cant be rotated at all. When I asked her if she poured glue into the knobs she said that she has been using an induction unit placed on top of the gas top for two years. My question is this, Could the EMF from the induction unit have caused damage to the gas top below it? 

Don’t think so ?   Sounds like something weird going on , got to be more to the story 

How long has it been since it was used ?  If a real long time it possible it could just be buildup / grease splatter from the hot plate . Sometimes that’s as bad as glue after several months.   That’s all i can think of  :)

She hasn't used the gas top for 2 years, she said and it is pretty encrusted. I'll have to tear it apart and clean it thoroughly. Thanks for your comments. I'll keep you posted on the results of the cleaning.

I've seen it on numerous, (maybe a half dozen or so times), on different brand gas ranges that the valve just freezes up solid and won't turn.

On one Maytag freestanding with the two ovens, (small like pizza oven on top and regular size oven on bottom), that was on LP gas they had one lock up when still on and twisted the valve shaft almost off trying to turn it off.

Maybe lacking enough valve grease from factory so they dried out and the turning plug seizes itself to the valve body.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ingvark said:

She hasn't used the gas top for 2 years, she said and it is pretty encrusted. I'll have to tear it apart and clean it thoroughly. Thanks for your comments. I'll keep you posted on the results of the cleaning.

I have ran into a few like budget has, usually it is just one switch and the others work fine, but who knows..  hope the cleaning does the trick . Lots of issues Are the results of neglect !