LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Profile: radiant surface element cycling problem

MarkOlsen

GE Profile Electric Dual Oven Convection Range - Model#PCB975ST1SS

Although the elements on-off cycling is normal, since few days ago, the front-right (3 zones) surface element turns on briefly (at any settings, including HIGH), with or without anything on cooktop, then turns off after 5 sec. It turns on again, but ONLY after 1 min, unlike it worked before when it had a more frequent cycling. I can hear several clicks during this 1 min cycle. 

Any ideas what could cause this problem and how can be fixed? Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, MarkOlsen said:

What's is that sensor - is the limiter rod attached to the element ?

Yes, if that part is bad you would have to replace the whole eye.  You may want to call a tech out on this one . Can be tricky determining which of the two parts are bad

With other words the issue seems to be the wrong timing cycle (ON/OFF), so this is the dilemma:  either the sensor is shutting down the element too early (after 5 sec) OR the infinite control switch turns on (back) the power too late (after 80 sec.)? Not sure if this can narrow the real problem: when top-glass is cold, the very first ON cycle - when you see the red coil - is longer (about 20 sec). Then all subsequent ON cycles are only 5 sec. Thanks a lot !!!!!

The only way to know for sure is to take a power reading at the eye , if the eye is shutting off and power is there the eye sensor is bad , if the power is going away it is the switch.  You have to be very careful doing live test

• Like 2

I understand. I also found something interesting that might be useful on troubleshooting.

It is about the infinite switch "clicks" - which are normal. But also there are some "clicks" coming from the element area itself. They sound like the ones from switch, but more loader.

I was testing a working element: you can hear only the control switch clicks, for every ON or OFF of the cycle. There are no clicks from the element during the ON/OFF cycle.

However, for the main element, you can hear clicks from the control switch (but they not even, some of them are loader - when coils heats up at, and few others in between quieter - during the time when element is OFF, but the switch keeps trying to do something. It's really interesting the fact that the element turns back on (after that 1 min I told you about) ONLY after I hear a click from the element itself - it's like a relay there sending an OK command to the element (or switch) to turn on.

Any thoughts ? Thanks!

Sounds to me like you need to replace that element, (the hi-limit sensor and element HOT light is usually the control sensor on the element that most of the time now are not available separate - have to replace complete element, haven't looked up parts so don't know).

From your description I would say the hi-limit sensor is shutting the element down - you really shouldn't run these elements without a pan/load on them.

• Like 2

sounds like its the element as Budget has mentioned. But if you read what evaapliance had told you about how to check that . That would be the route to go to definately make sure which part it is.  Have both on hand and do the electrical check as mentioned by evaapliance if you have experience with live checking components.  Then just return the part you didnt use..  Good luck and report back what fixed your problem ?

yes thats the front right burner element Part #  WB30T10126         Ebay has one for $86.00  OEM    takes 7 to 10 days to get but usually Ebay is good for 5 days but I would expect 7-10 days on the safe side.       ERP has one also for that price but I am not sure I would go that route. that element gets a lot of use and I would stay with an OEM Manufactured one.            

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Today I replaced the main radiant element (ordered from Amazon). The thermal limiter was indeed defective (the tip of the rod looked burned-out). Over the last days that element's warming light was on continuously. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!