LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

GE Dryer DBSR453EB2WW making rhythmic rattling sounds after repair

Justin_E

Replaced the front support bearing and bearing slides a month ago and now I'm getting a rhythmic rattling when the dryer has a wet/heavy load. When the clothes begin to dry out or the load is very light there is no rattling. I've taken everything apart again and put it back together but the problem persists. It seems like it may be coming from the bottom left, where the idler pulley is located. The pulley seems to have quite a bit of play on the idler arm. 

I don't know if it will work, but I've uploaded audio of the rattling here .

Thank you in advance!

Try removing the top and the small door in the rear and see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from. Sounds like the drum is hitting something. The idler pulley should slide back and fourthon the arm so the belt can track. I would also pull the drum and inspect the rear bearing and hold the door switch while watching the heater thru the drum to make sure the drum is not hitting the heating coils. If it does you would see sparks.

there is a possibility that the noise is the blower wheel getting into the blower housing . if the moter mounts are a little loose or flexing the heavy load will twist it sideways every time the wet clothes hits the bottom of the drum.  when they get lighter as they dry it gets better.   just something to check that i have seen before ,  they can be a pain cause they are sooooo flimsy !!!!

• Like 2

like everappliance had mentioned , that is most likely the culprit.   Check and see if the motor mounts are loose that secure the motor if one is worn or loose , most likely the one on the pulley side of the motor shaft.  any movement in that motor causes a similiar sound to the one in your video.    Also make sure the belt is on correctly !! and if you changed the belt , make sure its the right size belt.  If the belt is slightly smaller in size it will put to much pressure on the motor pulley and it will cause the motor to shift slightly with the blower wheel and then the blower wheel hits the blower housing.  One more thing ,  you need to also check the blower wheel for any cracks around the fins or around the nut that secures it to the motor shaft.  Good luck and please report back what you find.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, evaappliance said:

there is a possibility that the noise is the blower wheel getting into the blower housing . if the moter mounts are a little loose or flexing the heavy load will twist it sideways every time the wet clothes hits the bottom of the drum.  when they get lighter as they dry it gets better.   just something to check that i have seen before ,  they can be a pain cause they are sooooo flimsy !!!!

This seems like a likely culprit if for no other reason than that is where the noise seems to be originating.  That's why I thought maybe the idler pulley/arm could be at fault. 

16 hours ago, geno875 said:

Also check the felt strip that goes around the front under the bearing you replaced.

So when I first noticed the noise and opened the dryer back up, I saw that the felt strip was almost halfway out of its slot (after just a few days of being in use).  I don't know enough to know what would cause it to instantly pop out like that but I'll check and see if it's out again.  Can I use some sort of adhesive if it keeps popping out?

13 hours ago, darren412 said:

like everappliance had mentioned , that is most likely the culprit.   Check and see if the motor mounts are loose that secure the motor if one is worn or loose , most likely the one on the pulley side of the motor shaft.  any movement in that motor causes a similiar sound to the one in your video.    Also make sure the belt is on correctly !! and if you changed the belt , make sure its the right size belt.  If the belt is slightly smaller in size it will put to much pressure on the motor pulley and it will cause the motor to shift slightly with the blower wheel and then the blower wheel hits the blower housing.  One more thing ,  you need to also check the blower wheel for any cracks around the fins or around the nut that secures it to the motor shaft.  Good luck and please report back what you find.

I double-checked the belt (it's the same one as before, not a replacement).

I'll check the blower wheel as well when I pop it open.

I may be able to check it today but I have three kids so things don't always go as planned.

Just opened it up and found:

-Felt strip still in place

-Rear bearing looks ok

-Blower wheel looks ok--no visible cracks

-But I did find this: 

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/jp8PnTW"><a href="//imgur.com/jp8PnTW"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know enough about it to know if this is the motor mount (just handy enough to fix something with instructions, not very well-versed in appliance parts), but it's definitely worn.  Possible culprit?

3 hours ago, Justin_E said:

Can I use some sort of adhesive if it keeps popping out?

I would suggest putting a new seal on if it is wore a lot , cause it keeps the tub pushed back from the front.  ( possible cause of noise )  If it has to much flex in that bushing the torque from the motor with a heavy load will pull it to the side, causing the blower to hit the housing.  Not much free room in the blower housing for error.