Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

WTW4950XW3 will not advance to Spin

Fran D

Nine year old WTW4950XW3 recently stopped advancing to spin for any wash cycle. Sometimes, SPIN and blinking Lid Locked LEDs illuminated, or just SPIN and nothing else. Can sometime Clear and force a spin on Drain & Spin, but never gets fully up to speed. Found codes F7E1, F7E5, and F7E7, so on preponderance of evidence, bought and installed new shift actuator. But, somehow, this "new" shift actuator seems worse. Takes a long time to go through sensing on cycle start and when it tries to go to SPIN, the clutch grinds and then stops. I can never get this thing to go through even a partial cyle, like the bad, "old," shift actuator, and it always grinds trying to get to SPIN. It also throws a F7E5 (the only code it throws) almost immediately. If I put the bad, "old" actuator back in, I can get partial advance of a cycle up to spin, and can finagle it to go to spin by selecting Drain & Spin. Now, the bad, "old" actuator is only throwing F7E1.

I'm a bit flummoxed. Is the "new" actuator actually bad, and is the actuator actually the problem? Looking for some insightful help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fran D

• 16345Ed

• Ian B

Top Posters In This Topic

Or shifter was installed incorrectly... there is a plastic lever that needs to be engaged. 

Going to have to pull tub and check tub gear and also inspect clutch underneath (that’s what the shifter hooks onto). 

Well...that seemed like way too much work, so I took the coward's way out and tried another shift actuator. It seems to be fixed...for now.

I exchanged the "new" actuator that didn't work with another "new" actuator from my parts shop. It had the same exact part number, but my parts guy asked for the SN of the washer to report the failure of the first actuator he sold me. I don't know if there are different versions of these things floating around, but the second one did the trick.

The gear case has something called a spluch. This could be worn. It’s all plastic and is attached to the gear case underneath. I was on one where it was making a rubbing noise while agitation. The nut was loose and hitting the cover. Grinding while spinning could be a worn splutch or hopefully not the gear case 

It appears that the grinding I was experiencing was only due to the first "new" actuator I installed. The second one has been quiet. No grinding or rubbing, just smooth operation. For now.