Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE GDT535PSJ2SS Dishwasher won't start

mjkinger

I have a GE GDT535PSJ2SS that will not start the cycle. I have run the door test and it indicates it believes the door to be open when in fact closed. I have replaced the door latch/switch on the body of the unit and it still believes the door to be open. Before I spend $116.00 on a new control board as thru my own diagnostic thought process there is no other part that could make the unit believe the door is open I wanted to consult some appliance guru's for advice.

As a side note prior to this it would not start a a different time, my father in law used some sequence of button presses to reset the unit and it worked for a couple of months but prior to failing to start again the heated dry part of the cycle stopped working.

Your help is appreciated in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjkinger

• 16345Ed

• johnsavit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m guessing at this point but if that light is flashing 7 times you are going to need to call a technician. There is a bulletin issued from manufacturer the software needs updated on your main control and a new updated heating element needs installed. 

If you are asking if about an LED on the control board I have not tried running the unit while the board was visible. What would I learn by whether or not that was blinking.

If you are asking if the lights on the control panel are blinking when I hold cycle select and start all lights flash for a few seconds then the lock light comes on solid. Tried to run the duration tests I get all of the correct blinks but nothing happens inside unit as I assume it wont try to run if it believes the door to be open.

I hadn't seen the second reply when I answered but again are we talking about the main control board in the chassis of the machine or the control panel where the buttons are to start the unit?

So in order to determine if that is the problem do I just expose the main board and then check for a blinking LED or do I need to do something to get it into diagnostic mode? 

Further, does the software update fix the door issue and the heater element is just a common problem?

• 8 months later...

I just came back a call with the same model # and complaint. Found wire from latch to computer possible broken in insulation. Harness comes down LH side of tub. Spliced and dressed out of the way. Maybe got caught up in hinge. We'll see.....

20191018_135710-459x816.jpg

Edited by johnsavit

• 2 weeks later...

Well it bounced again. Found the real problem. The top of the dishwasher door frame was too high. The diamond latch strike was engaging and being grabbed by the latch pincers but not activating the switch. The cure was to persuade the metal frame downwards so the strike and pincers are even as viewed from the top: 

dishwasher fix.jpg