Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore HE4 Motor Relay blown

Don.Ross

After troubleshooting why the dryer wouldn't run when Start was pushed, even though all the lights seemed to work and the counter counted down, I pulled out the main board. The K2 motor relay burned a hole in the circuit board at one of the pin positions. I would post a pic, but I can't figure out how without having an online image board account.

My question is, should I try to solder on the new relay I ordered? I think if I get enough solder on the pin, it will flow to the little bit of copper that's visible on the burnt area.

Also, what could cause this? There was a lot of charring on the board housing behind the plastic mount. Could it happen again? We use this dryer A LOT and I've pretty much changed everything in it at least once (element about 4x).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darren412

• 16345Ed

• spencertech

• Don.Ross

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't  do it for a customer. No good deed goes unpunished. If you want to go to the time and effort i have seen old tv repair people scrape off the copper strip back and solder a wire to jump the bad spot.

I don't see a model # ??  not sure if I missed it but if there is a post you put out here, you need to post the model # with the serial # in your post at all times or it will be difficult for some one to give you a proper answer.  With that said,  a cold soldering job could cause this  or even at times the relay used originally was not handling the amps going through it, hence the results of a burnt contact point.   As ed told you , replace the board . its short money and if thats all that is wrong with it when it went bad, it is worth replacing it.  You want to replace the board and not resolder it, especially  in case they have made changes to that particular board and have a substituted board to take its place. you will do your self a dis service if you dont check to see if it has a substituted board to take the place of the original one.  Quite common in appliances.   if you dont want to go that route , then as a home owner . just resolder a new relay in it , if your qualified and then wing it to see how it does. If you do it this way. You should get a relay that has a slighter higher amp rating to it to replace the bad one.        The easiest and best way would be to replace the control board with the proper replacement part and move forward (my choice) but how ever you decide you want to do this.   GOOD LUCK !    

I forgot.  I also meant to say , you may need to check the whole 4" exaust system piping from the blower housing intake in the dryer cabinet to where it exits and exausts out to the back of the dryer and then to the end where it exits out of the house wall.   You mentioned you have gone through 4 heating elements already !!!    you are either buying cheap replacement heating elements and not O.E.M  replacement heating elements !      or your intake and exaust line system needs a total cleaning.   To much drum heat in the dryer cabinet while its running can cause your heating elements to fracture and break alot sooner  if the dryer heat is not exiting properly in the dryer.   It also can cause the motor to run hotter and pull slightly higher amperage through its electrical system. thus burning out your motor relay possibly before a thermostat poops out.  There are so many variables involved that it can be quite taxing when you think about it.  I just dont feel that you should be going through as many heating elements that you have gone through if thats correct that you have replaced 4 elements already.  Something doesnt seem right.