LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

rb526h2ww oven bake element wire replacement

skenig

I have a RB526H2ww stove. The oven (bake) element stopped working. While removing it, I noticed only one of the push-on wire terminals was not connected to anything. I  opened the back of the stove and found out the end of the red wire that supplies power to the bake element had burned out. The metal part where the  end of the bake element should insert was damaged.
That  wire goes from the bake element to the  broil element to the bake/broil knob  and from there an other attached wire goes to the oven light on the control panel.

My issue is that I cannot seem to find a replacement for this wire on any of the parts websites; it is not even mentioned on the replacement parts list. Can anyone help?  Thank u so much!  

you need to replace the bad electrical female connections and wiring as needed with new connections and or wiring if necessary. Splice a small section of wire into the existing wire and solder the new female connections onto the cut back wire or new replacement wire .  If you need to replace the wiring because its too short now,  get your self some long enough in length 12 awg  high temperature appliance wire.  You can connect the new length of wire onto the existing one with good electrical butt connectors. Easy to do with the proper tools.  If you google it you can find it.    There is 14 awg wire also but I like using the 12 awg for repairs to heating element wiring.   solder the correct size female electrical connection  on the ends that need them and replace the burnt up wiring .  If the heating element connection spade that is soldered on the end is damaged in any little way , I suggest you replace the heating element also even though it may not be shorted out.  If it has a bad terminal end, putting a new female connection with wiring onto a damaged spade connection on a heating element can cause arcing and that would cause the same thing to happen all over again with that heating elements connection.  

Edited by darren412
added text
  • Like 4

Thank you for your answer! I was hoping to find the replacement wire somewhere, but if I can't I will do what  u suggest (and change the element as well)

even if you could find the wire harness set up .  you would have to purchase the whole wire harness and that would be alot more costly. You wont get it separately.   It is not even listed in whirlpools site under a part that is available anyway.     Doing this if your qualified enough to do it , will be a better job than what was there.   I wouldnt over think this repair.  you will be doing more and spending more with a repair that should take you 10 min to do 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
Daniel A Webster

Hello, Darren: 

I have a similar issue. I plan to follow your excellent instructions above to repair the wire. My question pertains to the connection type: 

- Is it okay for me to convert from the screw-together connector to the quick-connect spade-style connector? (I am unable to find the screw-together connectors and the quick-connect spade-style connector seems to widely available.)
- Do you know if 12 awg wire with the heat-resistant quick-connectors already installed is available for purchase? 
- Is there a standard size for the quick-connect spade connections that fit older GE ovens?

Thanks for considering my questions! 

image.thumb.jpeg.e55ded1e1e6e1e5140534bae017a2174.jpeg

IMG_7258.jpeg

69759825488__674A421D-4EA8-423F-849A-E3D49C70B256.jpeg

From the looks of your pictures the one “pigtail” is in good shape. If the other end is in good shape you maybe able to splice with ceramic wire nuts. The other way to repair is the use high temp terminals. May not be able to replace the element from inside the cavity if the wire length is too short.