Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Quick Question to Appliance Repair Techs

HTech12

Hey guys, quick survey type question:

When you go on a service call for appliance repair, what percent of the time do you have to use a replacement part to fix the problem?

And if you do have to use a replacement part, what percent of the time do you already have the part in your truck vs ordering it?

I might be in the wrong forum, but I'd really appreciate some answers!

Thanks

For me about 75 percent of the time a part is needed.

I'm batting 50 50 on having the part with me.

I complete 80% of calls with one visit. We call it first call complete. 

Of those complete calls a part or parts are need about 75% of the time. 

May I ask why you ask?

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 1

Today...

1976 Hotpoint/GE dryer with a broken belt (WE12X49) and worn rear drum sleeve bearing.

*In stock...done.*

Another service call for a 2005 LG front load washer WM2277HB...needs Main Board. NLA.

Percentage of first call completes can vary wildly...depending on what you service.

The more brands and types of appliances serviced...the more challenging it gets.

20190214_145424.jpg

20190214_141619.jpg

Edited by john63
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

I complete 80% of calls with one visit. We call it first call complete. 

Of those complete calls a part or parts are need about 75% of the time. 

May I ask why you ask?

Yes I'm with you and Quick ed.    I would have to say i'm at about 80% + on my first call completes .   About 85% + needed parts and About 85% + of the time I had the part needed on the truck before the repair. I wont do sealed system work like installing compressors, evaporators and filter driers either that sort of repair on refrigerators.  which would also lower my FCC's I believe in some way.  It's not really worth it to me. I get more calls done and less agrevation. Less chance of damage to flooring and my back.  There are local repair guys near me who gerry rig shit and dont research or use the proper substituted parts in their calls.  I refuse to do that. I get their call backs 6 months to a year with their refrigerator work and the majority of the time the customer has thought the first repair done by them was fine and ok and their just looking to get the appliance looked at again. The local guy I use happens to have several ware houses in a couple of different states and he has 2 stores with in a half hour from me going north and south.  If I get a call later in the day and as long as its before 3:30 pm , I will look up the model and get what ever part I think I may use and its on my front porch that night. The manager  drives past my house on his way home and drops the stuff off. Its quite a fortunate benefit . He rivals with the other store they own near me on the south side. It works out great for me.  If I go through Marcone and its in their Albany warehouse as long as I call it in by 4:00 pm ,  It gets delivered to my door by fedex for $10.99 by 9:00 am the next day.  Thats another subject.  Shipping and parts costs have gone up 4% this year thus tightening up the noose around our neck at our costs so they can fill the greedy needs of their coffers.  They suck. They are killing us on trying to make a run a successful and profitable business. I'm kinda pissed when I do have to return to a call unless its at the local hardware store or homedepot for something simple I need to complete the call before the next one.  I do a flat rated cost service and I am a single owned proprietor type business ,  it's a bit easier for me to put pride and customer satisfaction into each call with my situation.  I'm totally sure it must be much more difficult with someone who is trying to manage 2 to 3 trucks and 2-3 employees  and also try to manage pride , customer satisfaction , and FCC's . Kudos to the guys that do that.  Devotion and ambition is at the top of their list , I would say. Me I would probably have a melt down       :argue:       I do my best to do as much research as possible before each call. I get the serial and model # of every appliance prior to every call . I try to have all the common mid to low cost parts I think I may need for every repair call. Whats not used or I don't want to put in my truck stock, I will just return for a credit with my local parts distributor. No shipping costs involved or any real traveling costs involved in the returns because I am at my local distributors warehouse 1 or twice a week at times, so its convenient for returning parts not needed.  With all that said and being in the situation I have,  I would have to say that is why i'm at or very close to the percentages I mentioned. 

Edited by darren412