LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Electrical issues in the house

Xavier Taylor

Xavier Taylor

So a while back I had 220v installed in my house, a few months later or so I noticed one of the bedroom lights would flicker along with the bathroom lights. This never ever happen before, so I called a licensed electrician back out and after waiting on him he finally came back ( third time now, unrelated problems before ) and he said he saw nothing but he did tighten up all the connections. Ok so the problem went away for about two weeks, then it resurfaced. And I found this out yesterday, while the curling iron was plugged in, the lights in the bathroom would flicker until the iron was unplugged. I didn't understand why this was happening? 

Do you guys have any idea why this is happening? 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darren412

• 16345Ed

• Xavier Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a licensed electrician but I can throw some suggestions at you from my research if it helps.  this type of question is not really an appliance repair question . its more like a licensed electrician question. So it may not really yield many answers on this site because of that.   The issue your having alot of times , can be caused by a reduction in voltage from a large load being introduced into the electrical system. From what I have heard and read,  it is common in older homes since the appliances we have today in our electrical system were not considered back then. Sometimes an older fridge with a tired compressor that kicks on and off from normal cycling  would dim the lights every time because it is starting to draw more amperage..  Or any appliance you may have that draws or is starting to draw a lot of amperage  through your electrical system to start up.  Depending on the specs of your fridge and how well it is staying insulated with the desired interior cabinet temperature selected, the refrigerator would cycle on and off for the defrosting and cooling portion of your fridge. Commonly  every  8, to 12 hrs  (but varies with different models and how old and efficient it is) sometimes an older refrigerator in the basement additional to the refrigerator in the kitchen  can cause this because you are not really aware everytime the basement refridgerator is cycling on and off and being introduced into your electrical system. Then when it does all of a sudden you see the lights dim and you are wondeing where that came from.   With out knowing or having the knowledge of how your new electrical system was done or should have been done its difficult really for any one to actually know what the problem is you are having.  Not that the electrician you had before is not qualified enough to do your work or answer your questions properly but I suggest you have an independant  opinion from another licensed electrician.  Sometimes a different set of minds can catch something that the original electrician may have just missed even though he may have done it several times in his career.  Honest mistakes or oversites can happen in the service industry.    You may just find out that you have to add circuits or do a little more updating into your electrical system.     FYI this is  Important !!!   Do not let this go idoly by and procrastinate on getting this issue resolved.   ASAP !!!  get it looked at by another qualified , licensed, electrician. A situation such as this ,that your experiencing is something you need looked at ASAP for safety reasons and insurance reasons.   The safety of the occupants of your home takes presidence over everything along with making sure your covered , should an electrical fire hazard occur.    I hope this may have been some help to you.  Good luck  alright

Edited by darren412