LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Bryant A/C causing problem

schlager

We have an 8 year old Bryant air conditioner for the house it's 3 ton. When it comes on it makes a major power draw, the lights in the house really dim and then after several seconds the unit makes a sort of lurch and resumes working. It may do this once it may do it several times or it may not do it at all. It seems to mostly happen at night or at least it is mostly noticed at night.

Had a repairman out and he replaced the contact and added a hard start. The next night it was doing the same thing.

They are supposed to come look at it again tomorrow.

Is there anything I can look for? Anything I should make sure the repairman looks for? I'll bet $20 it won't do it while the repairman is around but I'm going to give it a workout.

thanks,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be a loose connecton in the main electrical panel or a weak breaker . perhaps you better let a qualified electrical contractor check your panel both the main and at the unit itself.

• 1 month later...

replace the start capacitor.

the lights dim so the compressor is sucking up the juice but can't get started. Could it be overgassed and can't start under the pressure? Add a hard start capacitor kit.

low side pressure reading should be around 68 pounds per square inch PSI

Archived