Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore washer problem

handyandy99

handyandy99

Have a kenmore washer that is having spin issues. Splutch is fine, belt is fine, drum turns by hand with no issues, shift actuator is fine also. During spin and drain cycle washer tries to spin but can't. Washer lurches about 4 times and then stops. I put the washer into manual test mode and tested high spin, machine will spin, but I tell by sound its not spinning high like it should. Tested machine on low spin and machine struggles and lurches and stops after about 4 lurches. The motor will free wheel but there is a light clicking noise. Looking for some direction for the next path. The motor, trans?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handyandy99

• darren412

• 16345Ed

• dave2543

did you visually remove the cage on the gear case underneath , to make sure there isnt something wrapped around the splutch area and the transmission shaft.  ?   Usually it will give you a bad motor code if the motor is acting up.   I would also check the capacitor and make sure thats ok too. You may have a bad capacitor.  fortunately they can be checked.   The tech sheet will tell you how to check the motor windings and the capacitor and give you the specs.

Hi Andy, sometimes the harness would go bad at the electrical connection to the cap, or the connection to the shifter.

Not reaching high speed

Could be this is stripped. 

Part number: W10528947

Part number: W10528947

Remove and inspect splines on it probably wearing smooth. 

Edited by 16345Ed

handyandy99

I have checked splotch, removed and checked teeth. No issues. Checked motor windings and ohms are 5 over range on one side. Checked again and it's now normal.

What error codes are you getting Andy ?   Its awful but these machines are pieces of junk.   I have have run into alot of failed and tired transmission gear cases for these washers with the sealed gear cases.   You may even have a bad gear case too. Especially if its louder than normal in spin. 

handyandy99

I ran it through a calabration mode again. This time it ran for over a minute while in spin it started to shake and then straightened out then started making loud grinding noise. Loud enough I hit the stop. As far as error codes it always said unbalanced load even when empty. It has to be the trans. I cant find anything else.

handyandy99

Removed the agitator plate and the transmission. The spindle that attaches to the agitator plate has splines that are worn down or missing 

Hi Andy, bummer,  That is what 16345Ed was getting at.  That piece he posted mates with the stripped shaft.  Sorry you had such a bummer happen !

13 hours ago, handyandy99 said:

I have checked splotch, removed and checked teeth. No issues. Checked motor windings and ohms are 5 over range on one side. Checked again and it's now normal.

What I showed is not the splutch it’s tub hub. 

handyandy99

It was the hub, thanks Ed and everyone for the help. Up and running. I hope this post will help someone in the future.20190305_131549_zpslsu8wrph.jpg20190305_131555_zps2udf9m9o.jpg

12 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

I’d condemn that machine 

Ed  are the pictures here of the gear case shaft ,  from this washer that andy is working on ?  It looks pretty bad to me.  I'm not sure if its me or not The splines look like they were rusted and corroded and or damaged. The tub seal looked damaged to.   It didn't look salvagable to me.      The photo bucket  pictures are incredibly clear . Nice presentation with the pictures 

3 hours ago, darren412 said:

Ed  are the pictures here of the gear case shaft ,  from this washer that andy is working on ?  It looks pretty bad to me.  I'm not sure if its me or not The splines look like they were rusted and corroded and or damaged. The tub seal looked damaged to.   It didn't look salvagable to me.      The photo bucket  pictures are incredibly clear . Nice presentation with the pictures 

Yes I suspect a callback will be received on this unit. 

If they just replaced the nylon hub it's not going to last very long and going to be doing the same thing very shortly.

That transmission shaft is totally wasted!!!

Man, these new VMW are total garbage - this one looks to be only around 4 years old.

handyandy99

I cleaned up the splines with a wire brush to remove dirt and gunk. There were two small sections that were marred up. The seal was still in great shape, there was a sludge type mess around it that's what you are seeing in the picture. Cleaned it up made sure there were no cracks or tears. They know this machine is was a bad purchase and they are trying to get another year out of it before getting a new one. They have a habit of over loading the machine which I stressed to them will not help matters. 

2 hours ago, handyandy99 said:

I cleaned up the splines with a wire brush to remove dirt and gunk. There were two small sections that were marred up. The seal was still in great shape, there was a sludge type mess around it that's what you are seeing in the picture. Cleaned it up made sure there were no cracks or tears. They know this machine is was a bad purchase and they are trying to get another year out of it before getting a new one. They have a habit of over loading the machine which I stressed to them will not help matters. 

hi Andy,     Andy sometimes situations such as this one , will come back at you and bite you in the ass.  You still should replace that seal if your going to attemp the repair , you disturbed the natural position of that seal and it may leak.  New Seal is required.   You have to consider this stuff especially if its on a second floor or higher.  In your customers best interest, you should tell em to replace it in this situation. Anytime I come across a gearcase situation on these junk models ,which you can usually tell when its in spin mode and noisy, I tell them to just replace it.   Its to much work to go that deep and the bearings seem to go quite often too .   You may just end up putting this back together and put all that work into it , to find that the gear case bearing is shot also.  Just my opinion Andy.   Good job other wise on finding the problem.  Good luck ok

handyandy99

Thank you for the advice, this machine has been good for me. It slows me down and brings me back to earth. I will keep an eye on it, a friend is the owner. Machine is in the basement next to sump pump. I really want to thank all you guys for the help and advice, truly appreciated.