Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Amana ABB2524DEQ Bottom Freezer Fridge - No cool

redboy1972

I have a 14yr old freezer on bottom Amana fridge that suddenly stopped working. Both the freezer and fridge section are 61 degrees. The ambient air temp is 70 so it is a "little cool" but nothing stays frozen. It stopped working 2 days ago and now everything is melted.

Opening the back I see the fan near the compressor running and their is airflow to the top fridge area. With a voltmeter I was reading 119v AC going to start relay. When connected, all of the fans are running and I do hear a hum and vibration from the condenser and the voltage detector detects voltage to starter relay. So I assume that the condenser is getting power and running.

When removed, the start relay does not have "broken / loose metal sounds" when shaken

With power off the three pins on compressor read 5.2, 4.2 and 8.8 ohms. It is open between all pins and copper tubing. Between copper tubing and where green wire goes (ground) reads < 1ohm. This tells me the compressor is likely electrically sound.

I vacuumed off the coils below fridge then used a leaf blower to blow remaining from coils. They are clear and free. The freezer and fridge were evacuated of all items and are bare as we needed our perishables moved to another fridge.

Touching coils below fridge from back area near compressor and from front below door are both very slightly warm and the coils within the fridge behind panel in freezer area are room temperature. The coils in freezer are are from my understanding supposed to be extremely cold often with presence of ice on them. Instead they are room temperature.

I do not hear clicking from start relay indicating an overload and safety shutoff.

The compressor stays on 100% of the time so not likely a temp control.

I suspect low coolant or that the condenser is running with too low pressure in a barely working capacity.

This is reaching my DIY capability level and I want to know if anyone has any suggestions before I buy another fridge.

If the compressor is indeed running, take a temperature reading of the condenser coil (the one you cleaned). The temp should be roughly 30 dig higher than ambient. If it is ambient temp during operation, you have a sealed system issue (refrigerant has leaked out). If this is the case, I would say the unit is at the end of its service life (14 yrs).

18 minutes ago, TheHelicopterKid said:

If the compressor is indeed running, take a temperature reading of the condenser coil (the one you cleaned). The temp should be roughly 30 dig higher than ambient. If it is ambient temp during operation, you have a sealed system issue (refrigerant has leaked out). If this is the case, I would say the unit is at the end of its service life (14 yrs).

Yep...

1 hour ago, TheHelicopterKid said:

One more thing to add. If you had the unit unplugged, be sure to let it run for at least 15 minutes before checking the temp of the condenser. The heat exchange will take several minutes in a properly working system and is not instant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Yep...

Hi Ed ,  The compressor pin readings , if that is the actual reading they are getting , are not making any sense to me either.  what are your thoughts on those readings. ??

On 3/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, redboy1972 said:

the three pins on compressor read 5.2, 4.2 and 8.8 ohms.

4 hours ago, darren412 said:

The compressor pin readings ... are not making any sense to me either.

I think it's a traditional split-phase compressor. 5.4 and 4.2 Ohms would be close for the Start and Run windings , and since they share a common, resistance from Start to Run through Common (assuming a probe resistance of ~.3 Ohms) would be close to Start + Run = ~9 Ohms

@redboy1972 If the Compressor is running I wouldn't spend too much time looking at Compressor winding resistance. If the Compressor is running consistently and there's less than 30*F above ambient on the Compressor discharge tube, you have a 'sealed system' issue. Likely a leak, or possibly an in-efficient compressor. Either way, you'll need to call in a  pro if you want to go forward with repair, and it'll likely be close to the cost of replacement of the fridge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  After hours of running, just feeling it with my hands, both sets of coils are close to room temp.  I didn't notice any pooled leaks but that is likely what has happened.  I don't think adding freon DIY is legally allowed plus it would just leak out again.  I think its time for a new fridge.  Stupid CA laws!!!

We decided to buy a new one. Several people mentioned low Freon which is cost prohibitive for such an old appliance.

Thank you all for all the responses.