LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Speed Queen Dryer too hot too fast then shuts off in 2 minutes

bowhunter

It had no heat at all and it was the the small high limit thermostat on the element shroud. Replaced it and had heat. Too much heat. It would shut off in about 2 minutes. Check to see if element was shorted and it’s not. Installed a new cycling thermostat and no difference. Ran dryer without vent hooked up, same result. Could it be that the larger high limit thermostat on the element is faulty or shorted? 

The dryer shuts off or the element? The element is meant to cycle on and off

Does it still heat if you put it on air fluff? I have had a unit that had a bad heat relay on the board that it would heat at all times.  So put it on air fluff and if the heat comes on then you know. Nice easy test.

6 hours ago, Westendappliance said:

Does it still heat if you put it on air fluff? I have had a unit that had a bad heat relay on the board that it would heat at all times.  So put it on air fluff and if the heat comes on then you know. Nice easy test.

I haven’t tried that yet but we’re talking pretty high heat. About 185 at the exhaust. I have had another dryer (a Whirlpool) which would heat up and cut out on the large high limit thermostat before it had a chance to go to the cycling thermostat. I changed out the large high limit on the element shroud and, problem solved. Let me say this, I used a Whirlpool high limit cutoff on this Speed Queen (It was the original problem) and it’s possible it’s rating is lower. I have an original on order

13 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I haven’t tried that yet but we’re talking pretty high heat. About 185 at the exhaust. I have had another dryer (a Whirlpool) which would heat up and cut out on the large high limit thermostat before it had a chance to go to the cycling thermostat. I changed out the large high limit on the element shroud and, problem solved. Let me say this, I used a Whirlpool high limit cutoff on this Speed Queen (It was the original problem) and it’s possible it’s rating is lower. I have an original on order

There's your problem, always use the correct parts

Does it start right back up or is there a cool down time? Is it possible that the motor thermal protection is shutting down the show?

• Like 1

Also check you voltage comeing into the dryer, are you having trouble with any other things in the home ? 

13 hours ago, MrApplianceMatt said:

Does it start right back up or is there a cool down time? Is it possible that the motor thermal protection is shutting down the show?

It starts back up in just a few minutes. Not like when a motor kicks out on the overload.

Here was the problem, the folks had said they had problems with the dryer ever since it was delivered new. Well, as it turns out they had the delivery guy switch the door around before he left. The door was slightly tweaked and was not staying latched but it was hard to see because of the tweaking. The door was latched still but if you pulled on the handle just slightly it would shut off. Tweaked the door in the opposite direction and also filled a small recessed area where the door switch hits which It doesn’t have on the other side. Problem solved. Thanks to all who responded. 

If it does it again , they have started making the inner door liner out of metal,  just order a new one.   Have had a couple to do that when the doors are switched.