LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Samsung WF350ANW/XAA Grinding Noise During Spin Cycle

kars85

We have a roughly 8-9 year old Samsung WF350ANW/XAA washer that in the past month, has developed a grinding noise that becomes so loud, conversations in the same room become difficult. I tried looking for outer drum assemblies with the bearing installed, and looks to be out of stock at a lot of places. I don't think the drum spider is broken, either, but I'm not an expert.

Today, I captured a couple minute video of the sound. I apologize for the 1 minute and 30 seconds of "dead" time in the video, but if you skip ahead to the parts in the description it'll save some time.

I can get a audible "click" if I push the drum assembly, so if that gets amplified by 10,000RPMs, it could be the culprit? However, the noise is not as bad as his video here:

Just doing some quick math here, $100 for the initial service call, at least $100 in parts (if even available), and then a couple hours of labor puts me right in new washer territory. Am I off base here?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kars85

• Vance R

• metaabity

• darren412

Top Posters In This Topic

no!   your not off base.  It sounds like a bearing .   Just make sure its not the motor itself making that noise. Sometimes a noisy motor going bad can fool you into automatically thinking you have a bad bearing in the washer without further investigation   If in deed it is the bearing which at times can give un known damage to the spider shaft/axle FYI, and  along with it being 8-9 years old,  I would  replace it. Your at the stage of a repair that can have un forseen damage. a bad bearing can start a hair line crack in the spider  At this stage you have about a 65 % to 75% chance of something  else happening to the washer in the not so distant future after even repairing it. Just my opinion but I feel you may be putting good money towards bad in a samsung washer going on 9 years old. especially if you have had it repaired in the past . 

1 hour ago, darren412 said:

no!   your not off base.  It sounds like a bearing .   Just make sure its not the motor itself making that noise. Sometimes a noisy motor going bad can fool you into automatically thinking you have a bad bearing in the washer without further investigation   If in deed it is the bearing which at times can give un known damage to the spider shaft/axle FYI, and  along with it being 8-9 years old,  I would  replace it. Your at the stage of a repair that can have un forseen damage. a bad bearing can start a hair line crack in the spider  At this stage you have about a 65 % to 75% chance of something  else happening to the washer in the not so distant future after even repairing it. Just my opinion but I feel you may be putting good money towards bad in a samsung washer going on 9 years old. especially if you have had it repaired in the past . 

Darren - thank you. I'm pretty handy given enough time, but nowadays that is a commodity. I also can see how I could quickly start throwing good money after bad once you open up the washer chassis and start going down the rat hole of identifying/fixing problems.

Ironically, I checked the forum post below mine here, and it sounds (going by ear) like a strong possibility of a spider arm(s) being fractured, too. Either way is going to cost more than it's worth I'm afraid:

Another one bites the dust....planned obsolescence at its finest.

32 minutes ago, kars85 said:

Darren - thank you. I'm pretty handy given enough time, but nowadays that is a commodity. I also can see how I could quickly start throwing good money after bad once you open up the washer chassis and start going down the rat hole of identifying/fixing problems.

Ironically, I checked the forum post below mine here, and it sounds (going by ear) like a strong possibility of a spider arm(s) being fractured, too. Either way is going to cost more than it's worth I'm afraid:

Another one bites the dust....planned obsolescence at its finest.

If it’s not broken it’s probably close. 

And there are several parts that should be changed if you go to the trouble of this repair otherwise you’ll be back at it for another reason  Way more than $100 in parts to do this repair properly  

Id quote a rebuild at about $650

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me this website is not easy to work with it. I am a member and I want ask question. I am working with GE washer #WWSE524G0WW not agitate, spin but drain. After I changed the new motor I notice spin while the door open. But after one wash still not agitate spin but drain. Any idea?  

12 minutes ago, metaabity said:

Any idea?

May want to post this question in the Appliance Repair Tech Form. Click Start A new topic to post your question.  Do a search for the tech sheet and review to get started. 

Welcome aboard.