Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Microwave - Pinched power cord

crice

Microwave died and no issue with breaker, etc.  When clearing the cabinet above the microwave it suddenly came back on - a large, ceramic bowl had been sitting on top of the power cord and when it was removed it came back to life.

As long as the power cord is bend back the other way the microwave seems fine.

Three questions...

1 - Is there any chance that this isn't an issue with the power cord?  E.g. could it have been putting pressure on another component and caused an issue with it, or is that pretty unlikely due to the way the cord is installed?

2 - Is there any concern with using the microwave as is?  The cord is intact and doesn't get warm when it is in use.

3 - If the answers to 1 & 2 are both no, is there any reason not to just continue use it as is and then replace the cord if/when it eventually dies completely?

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrApplianceMatt

• crice

• darren412

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the bowl pull the plug out of the wall or does it seem like it’s in the wire. Loose or broken electrical connections that still conduct electricity become heat sources and can lead to damage or heaven forbid a fire. You should have it addressed as soon as possible in my opinion.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply!

When it is plugged in and I bend the cord back the other way from the way it has been for the past 9 months or so the microwave turns on. If it goes back to the way it has been bent it goes off again.

That's what made me think it's the cord and somehow the bowl sitting on top of it damaged the wiring somehow.

I have it unplugged now and based on your feedback I'll keep it unplugged until I replace the cord.

Do you think it could possibly be something else causing it or do you agree that the cord seems pretty likely?

Thanks!

Its odd that its the cord !   Those microwave cords are pretty thick and resiliant. I doubt very much a bowl sitting on the power cord had caused an issue with the internal wiring of that cord.  Stranger things have been known to happen though. I would suspect the  receptacle is not receiving the power cord contacts that well or the inerds of the receptacle are the culprit and just making an intermittent contact with the power cord for the microwave.  I would plug the power cord from the microwave into a good extension cord , not a cheap skinny cord but a good extension cord.  Then plug the extension cord  into a separate outlet some where else  in the kitchen.  start the microwave with a good size bowl of water in it and while its powered up, move the microwave cord around where you think you were having the problem. If the microwave stays running without interruption then you know that cord is fine and it will be the outlet in the cabinet above the microwave that is acting up. Sometimes the power cord's neutral and line blades will make a lousy contact in the receptacle and or the receptacle is not letting the line and neutral blades make a good contact in the receptacle itself.

I agree that the wall socket is the most likely suspect.  It occurred to me, though, that if there is a noise filter in place that a bad or loose connection there could be causing it. I’ve seen that in the past where the strain relief on the cord was less than adequate and the connection on the filter was tenuous at best and the simple act of shutting the door too hard would be enough to cause a no power condition. The GE microwave in my own kitchen fell victim to that and almost wound up being replaced entirely before I found the loose connector. I pinched it shut and reconnected it and haven’t had an issue since.  I’ve seen it on several units since so it might be worth looking into if the wall socket turns out to be OK.