Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore (Frigidaire) Electric Oven Model# 970-687623 is slow to heat up

Jeff_Ge

Oven now takes extremely long to pre heat. Previously would take 10-15 minutes to preheat to 350 degrees. Now it will take 45 minutes and only get to 233 degrees. The display box shows a solid red line on the bottom for 50 seconds then a broken red line on the top for 10 seconds.

I have done the following troubleshooting.

Power - The stove top burners work as normal. They heat up within seconds. I read that this means the 240V power coming to the oven is OK. I did switch off the circuit breaker and turn it on again but it made no difference.

MultiMeter - I checked the Baking element for resistance (approx 16 ohms) and the Broiling element for resistance (approx 14 ohms) and the Temperatiure sensor probe for resistance (approx 1080 ohms).

I have visually inspected the control board and did not see any damage, however I am not an expert and not sure what I am looking for.

I am hesitant to order a control board because of the cost and the fact that I cannot return it once I open the package and install it. Anyway to confirm the control board is the cause, or any ideas of what else may be the cause?

You’ll need to get behind the unit and pull the back off to see what is getting power. Test power to both elements during preheat and see if the control board is alternating power between the bake and broil elements. What temperature did you test the temp sensor at? That’s important because they can test ok at room temp and can drift out of spec when the temp goes up. From what you described it looks like the problem is with your control board. I’m pretty sure appliance parts pros.com will allow you to return a control board even if it’s been installed but you might want to verify that. Continuity present in the elements indicates that they are good, but testing the voltage dropped across the element terminals would be a better indicator. If they are getting the 250 VAC but still not heating properly then they’re the issue. 

I tested the Test Sensor Probe at room temperature. I actually already installed a new sensor probe and it did not solve the problem.

I will attempt what you suggested in terms of checking power from behind.

I will also check the return policy of appliance part pros.com as you suggested.

Thanks

I went behind and tested as you recommended. I started by testing the main three terminals on the back and received 118 when testing the centre and one of the ends. I tested the two ends and received 240.  While pre heating I tested the lower baking element and received 118. While preheating / broiling I tested the upper broiling element but was never able to register a value. Always got zero.

I checked the Appliance Parts pros.com website and their return policy states -  "All gas and electrical parts must not have been installed". I do not think I can return the control board if it does not solve my problem.

Double check the connection at the terminal block, but I would say that no power at all to the broil element and only half to the bake element would indicate a problem with the relay/main board. I wasn’t able to pull up the model in sears when I checked, so this info is generic to electric ovens. I may be missing something specific to this model.

You can test at the board to be doubly sure... check from L2 out and BK (P1 to P9) and from L2 to BRL (P1 to P7). You should get 240-250 volts when the elements are to be energized. If you’ve confirmed that you’ve got good voltage going into the board at P3 and P5 and nothing coming out then the relay on the board has failed. This can be dangerous so please be careful.

A2590F35-5B71-4377-AE9F-229680F36AED.png

Edited by MrApplianceMatt
Add cautionary message

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to order a new Oven Control Board. I installed it and am sure the connections are the same (took pictures). After installing the clock starting flashing 12:00. None of the buttons seem to be functional, I try setting the clock but nothing happens. Try Bake but nothing happens. I do not have the overlay on right now but I cannot imagine that that would make a difference. The stove top elements still work. Any ideas on why it will not function?            
I put the old control board back in and it still works the same as before, I can set the clock and bake (but it is extremely slow and does not reach a high temperature. Any idea why the new control board will not work at all?

The part number I got from Electrolux is 316462808. There doesn’t seem to be a substitute for it. It’s possible you got a defective replacement. Did you check for voltage at the points I listed with the diagram to verify board operation on your original part?

I did not check the voltage on the old board, because I was not sure how to do this. I did print out your schematic and study it. I am assuming that to test the board it has to be installed and the oven plugged in. What I was confused about was which cable connectors needed to be connected or not. It seems to test the points that you mentioned I need to disconnect the cables, but if the cables are disconnected how is the board getting voltage for me to test. I apologize but I do not have a lot of experience with this. If you could give me more specific instructions about what connectors need to be connected, I can try it.

Maybe you could answer this question for me. Is there any reason the EOC would need the overlay to be functional? The overlay is just a piece of plastic with labels on the front and adhesive on the back, is it not? I can transfer the old overlay or buy a new one, but I wanted to wait until I knew the board worked. The place where I ordered the EOC from has agreed to give me a replacement. Should the board work without the overlay on top?

Yes, the board will work without the overlay - make sure your pressing the correct buttons, (Don't have the board upside down or something weird).

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer. I believe now that the board may be defective.

The board is the exact same as the old board, I compared the part numbers on the stickers. I put the new board in the correct position, not upside down or something weird. It is fairly straightforward given the position of the clock. I had the old overlay right beside me to use as a guide, so I was pushing the right buttons. Other than displaying 12:00 the new board did not function at all. Not a single button did anything or made a 'beep' sound. I put the old board back in and it worked the same as it did before, fully functional except that the broiler did not heat and the bake element heated extremely slow.

Thank You

I tried 3 different boards (all new) and none of them functioned at all, except for a flashing 12:00 clock. Put my old board back in and it works as it did before. Not sure why the new boards are not functioning.

Did you press cancel then follow user manual instructions for setting clock?

• 1 year later...