LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Samsung Fridge 28HDEDTSR FD Mode

Mr Stupid

So I have one of these junky Samsung fridges with the bi-weekly freeze over of the evaporator coil. 

I have seen there is a FD mode available (pressing top left and middle right buttons) but I can't get my fridge to go there.  I can't even get it to enter the demo (pressing left top and middle buttons) mode.  Is my touch pad trash too or do I have the wrong button combinations?

At this point I'm better off with a giant Coleman cooler and daily bags of ice than using this thing. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Stupid said:

I have seen there is a FD mode available (pressing top left and middle right buttons)

For RF28HDEDTSR/AA , the FD mode should still be top left and middle right. It's pretty unusual to have a bad touchpad, but they're typically pretty finicky about timing. You have to pres the two buttons at the exact same time (there shouldn't be any beep if pressed simultaneously), and hold them for about 20 seconds (a LONG time). Entry also won't work if you've pressed any buttons in the last 45-sec. to 1 min. 

• Like 1

Finally.  I guess I was trying too soon after touching other buttons,  among  other failed attempts. 

I'm also seeing what looks like an rD mode.  Is this a refrigerator only defrost mode? 

20 hours ago, Mr Stupid said:

I'm also seeing what looks like an rD mode.  Is this a refrigerator only defrost mode? 

Yep, rD should run a forced defrost on the Ref. only.

20 hours ago, Mr Stupid said:

Oh, and does it ding like that until you take it out of the mode?  Will it exit the mode on its own?

Yep, it'll ding constantly while in forced defrost. It will time out on its own, after 30-45 minutes 

If your Ref. evaporator is frosting up constantly , forced defrost may buy you some time, but won't solve the underlying problem. Either call a professional , or carefully remove the evaporator cover after thoroughly defrosting, check and/or replace the Defrost Sensor (the one clipped to the evaporator tubing with a plastic clip), and check whether the defrost drain is frozen or plugged