Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

markcm

Thermador RED30V electric oven, power at bake element but no heat

markcm

I am trying to troubleshoot our thermador RED30v all electric oven. The bake element is not heating, the broil will warm slightly for the pre-heat function but zero heat on the bake.

The bake element tests about 30ohms.

The Red wire from the back of the controller mark BA on the controller has 240 when in bake and there is 240v at the bake element. It seems there is no return path for the circuit. Can someone help me understand this circuit? With the oven off, I did a continuity test from the element to the controller, the red wire is good but I cannot determine where the other side of the bake element goes. Both wires are red at the element. 

Is the return path through one of the two relays? I've heard about these relays failing causing this same no Bake element heat symptom.

I am mostly looking at the BR,BA,L1,COM and neutral pins. The thick black wire on post L1 seems to be power in, the thick red wire on post BA seems to be power out (energized when bake is on) on has continuity to the back element on one side. I cannot find a wire with continuity to the other side of the back element which is confusing me.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thank you.

(controller.JPG

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

markcm

I still don't fully understand the heating element wiring on this although I had read about the relays having issues so I disassembled the controller and sure enough, found a cold solder joint on the bake relay. I re-flowed it and we have heat in the bake element again.

Here's a picture of the bad solder joint:

relaycoldsolder.PNGrelaycoldsolder.JPG

markcm

For reference, I believe this is the same controller (AKA: Timer) used in the Thermador REF30, RES30 as well as my RED30V

MrApplianceMatt

Nice catch! Thank you for updating your repair. 😀