LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Thermador RED30V electric oven, power at bake element but no heat

markcm

I am trying to troubleshoot our thermador RED30v all electric oven. The bake element is not heating, the broil will warm slightly for the pre-heat function but zero heat on the bake.

The bake element tests about 30ohms.

The Red wire from the back of the controller mark BA on the controller has 240 when in bake and there is 240v at the bake element. It seems there is no return path for the circuit. Can someone help me understand this circuit? With the oven off, I did a continuity test from the element to the controller, the red wire is good but I cannot determine where the other side of the bake element goes. Both wires are red at the element. 

Is the return path through one of the two relays? I've heard about these relays failing causing this same no Bake element heat symptom.

I am mostly looking at the BR,BA,L1,COM and neutral pins. The thick black wire on post L1 seems to be power in, the thick red wire on post BA seems to be power out (energized when bake is on) on has continuity to the back element on one side. I cannot find a wire with continuity to the other side of the back element which is confusing me.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thank you.

(controller.JPG

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markcm

• MrApplianceMatt

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't fully understand the heating element wiring on this although I had read about the relays having issues so I disassembled the controller and sure enough, found a cold solder joint on the bake relay. I re-flowed it and we have heat in the bake element again.

Here's a picture of the bad solder joint:

relaycoldsolder.PNGrelaycoldsolder.JPG

For reference, I believe this is the same controller (AKA: Timer) used in the Thermador REF30, RES30 as well as my RED30V

Nice catch! Thank you for updating your repair. 😀

• 4 years later...

In case anyone comes across this and wonders if this is the problem they too are facing; I own two of these same Thermador ovens and as of today, years after first posting this, I have now repeated this fix about 5 times on these two ovens.

I considered trying to apply a heat sink to the board but figured if it let loose from the board it could cause a short so I will settle for re-flowing the solder once every few years as the oven is still otherwise a great oven. If you are mechanical and have access to some electronics grade flux and a soldering iron, this repair can be performed in an hour or less. The trickiest part is releasing the tabs on the smoked front face of the display; the tabs are large, 3 on the top and bottom of the front face of the display. You have to use a small flat head screwdriver or similar to pry those while also cautiously pulling the front face from the main body of the control unit. Once that is off, you splay the two black plastic retaining clips from the ends of the control unit to remove them, then the control unit is composed of two boards connected by a series of buss wires, you just bend the two boards open to access the back/inner side of the boards that holds the high current relays and you will see the failed solder joints as shown in my previous images.