LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool Thermistor W10838965 rt values chart

Caguitars

Hi,

I'm looking for a chart of the values for the above mentioned Whirlpool thermistor.  I found the chart for the freezer thermistor on your site and it checked out on my meter.

Whirlpool Fridge (wrt318fzdw01) is freezing food in fresh food section and runs constantly.  Local tech called Whirlpool and their master tech told them to begin by blocking half the airflow from the freezer to the fresh food section with tape! He didn't put his multimeter on a single thing, just called Whirlpool right away. He put the tape on and left.  It continues to freeze food.  Before I called the tech I had already run the diagnostics mode and it didn't flash any codes.

Thanks, Craig

Someone suggested that it's likely the control board, a $300 part.

If that's the case then I wonder, since the refrigerator is only 3 1/2 years old, I should be making a fuss with Whirlpool?  The fridge came with the house so I'm on my own here.

I don't think it's a control board problem but could be.

You need to make sure the unit it running and take the rear cover off of compressor area and put you hand on the condenser, (the black tubing bundle on the right hand side), it should have noticeable warmth to it - use a IR temp gun would be best - should be about 30 degrees higher temp then room temp.

If the compressor is running, (you should be able to fill it slightly vibrating when you put your hand on it), and it should be noticeably warm/hot to the touch.

If both compressor and condenser coil don't feel very warm I think you're going to find that you have a sealed system problem.

I've already ran into 2 or 3 of these units that are only about 2-3 years old and had sealed system problem, (one completely out of Freon/R134a and the other one that I remember was low and doing kind of what you have described).

To know for sure, remove the freezer evaporator cover and get a good look at the evaporator coil after the refrigerator has been turned on to the highest setting and running for at least a half hour.   You should have a good even coating of frost over the complete coil, if only the first coil or two are frosted then you for sure have sealed system problem.

The one that I had doing similar to what you describe had cycled off when I arrived and temp in the refrig was around 40 degrees but only around 20-27 in freezer and they told me it would periodically freeze food in the refrig and the freezer warmed up sometimes.

I thought it had to be thermisitors and by the time I could the control area apart and check everything had thawed out and since it was in an off cycle and at close to 40 degrees in refrig I didn't think there was really a problem.

Came back for a second visit and check the condenser and compressor temp and found low and made sure it stayed on and removed evaporator cover and find only the first tube of the evaporator frosted, (classic sealed system problem).

It was cooling enough to actually get the refrig down to the temp it thought it should be but runs so long doing so it can freeze some of the food at times and the freezer never really gets cold enough so when it goes into defrost it warms the freezer area up more than it should.

• Like 1

Interesting. Yes, there is frost buildup on only the top coils, and after running for a couple days it covers the top couple coils almost entirely.  I'm going to do what you suggest and check the compressor and coil temp after making sure it's actually running.

Right you are, William.  The compressor is running (I feel it vibrating) and it is somewhat warm, not what I would guess is 30 degrees warmer than room temperature.  The coils are actually cool to the touch.  (The temperature thermocouple probe for my multimeter is missing and I don't own a heat sensing gun, but the coils aren't even warm, they are cool to the touch.) The fan beside the coils is running.

Looking to me like this newer Whirlpool built top freezer model is going to be another on going sealed system problems.

2 to 3 years old and having sealed system problems in my book is unacceptable, I was afraid that was what you were going to find.

Yes, Willie.

I suppose it's just a flawed design if multiple units are doing this.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the task of assessing the root of the problem.  If it's leaking coolant or clogged up somewhere along the line I'm in uncharted territory for me.  I guess I will give the tech we hired the information you have helped me attain and see what he has to say.  They had us pay $110.00 for the diagnostic work before he came the first time.  He left without identifying the issue so maybe he will return to finish figuring it out without additional charge. (I hope)

Ok.  When I told the local appliance repair guy we hired that it was a closed system failure he told me he can't help with that, they don't work on that part of the refrigerator.  Is that normal?  How can they do refrigerator repair and not actually deal with refrigerant?

Oh well.

Whirlpool warranty is 1 year so we are out of luck.

Very easy and reasonable to say they don't do sealed system work, (It's more specialized repair and takes some specialized refrigeration tools and a license to deal with being certified to deal with and recover refrigerant gases).

I can fix anything else on a refrigerator and have been doing appliance repair for 34 years and don't do sealed system work - I've never had any desire to deal with warranty work so very seldom will anyone want to fix a sealed system problem unless it is a very expensive box.

Oh, in that case I guess I better be looking for a new refrigerator.  I've got the impression that it's difficult to make refrigerant systems that are reliable for any length of time.  Strange.  The way I remember it the refrigerator in the house I grew up in seemed to last forever.

Thanks again for enlightening me.

Craig

I have read this whole thread and I found it super-useful as a starter in appliance repair. 

But I have some doubts. Is it safe to touch the compressor and condenser coil with bare hands while they're running?

I've worked only on two refrigerators (both Hitachi) so far and I found a small note on one of theirs' compressor which said that "do not touch! 230 V" or something similar. 

Despite this, I touched the compressor for diagnosis because I saw other more experienced technicians around me doing so. 

So I just wanted to ask if I should take that warning note seriously or is it simply their for legal safety of the manufacturer?

14 hours ago, Ghashaan said:

I have read this whole thread and I found it super-useful as a starter in appliance repair. 

But I have some doubts. Is it safe to touch the compressor and condenser coil with bare hands while they're running?

I've worked only on two refrigerators (both Hitachi) so far and I found a small note on one of theirs' compressor which said that "do not touch! 230 V" or something similar. 

Despite this, I touched the compressor for diagnosis because I saw other more experienced technicians around me doing so. 

So I just wanted to ask if I should take that warning note seriously or is it simply their for legal safety of the manufacturer?

Where did you do your Appliance training?

We touch compressors to see if it’s running we measure temperature of condensers  

All appliances have safety warnings. 

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Where did you do your Appliance training?. 

Thanks for the reply @16345Ed.

I'm sorry if asked a question that's too naive.

I haven't done any training on appliance repair yet but I have decided to join MST. 

The reason that I asked the question is because I was curious to know if anyone experienced any kind of shock by touching it so that I can be cautious about it. 

I'm relieved to learn that it's part of the diagnosis. It's very interesting to use our senses in the process of troubleshooting.

1 hour ago, Ghashaan said:

I haven't done any training on appliance repair yet but I have decided to join MST. 

Great decision! Join and let’s talk in the professional forums...

• Like 2