Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Thermador range - multiple issues

RAB_LAC

New issues with a ten-year-old Pro Harmony natural gas range. I previously had the main circuit board replaced under warranty, discovered an improperly seated wire connector that was causing a thermocouple fault error, replaced a burner on indicator light, and replaced two burner gas lines. Doing this other work on my own gave me confidence that I can fix any issue with the range, as long as I know what the issue is.

I now have two seemingly unrelated issues. First, both Xlo burners are completely dead. No gas, no ignitor spark. All other burners are working. No error code associated with this. Second issue is that the oven shuts off with error code e9 (four blinks of Preheating light followed by three blinks of Heating light), usually after finishing preheating. Oven will come back on if the mode dial is turned off and back on, but it's susceptible to turning back off with the same error. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the cooling fans as the code indicates.

I'm trying to decide whether to tear the stove apart and hunt for causes on my own, or call for service. The warranty service we got was not a good experience. The circuit board replacement didn't fix the issue we called about, and the place refused to return because the warranty had expired (there was a one-week stretch between their service and my call back). I'm not that confident in my ability to properly diagnose the causes, and even though I'm in Southern California, we don't have other Bosch-approved service companies that are willing to come to our place.

Thoughts? Are there steps I could take to diagnose before tearing the range apart?

PRG366EH/07 is the model number

Simmer burner issue is likely a faulty simmer controller. The fault code is E43. That’s either a bad cooling fan, a bad hall sensor or a bad sail switch (depending on exactly which set up your oven uses). Both of those repairs can be fairly involved. I’d recommend calling for service. 

• Thanks 1

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Update: I found this tech bulletin (https://f01.justanswer.com/smitty1486/c8b63d31-046e-4870-8c74-fe19eeedf79c_PRG364EDHo7_Error_43_Tech_Bulletin.pdf) regarding the sail switch, and decided to take a look. I found the inspection sticker on the back of the range showing a date of October 2008. According to the tech bulletin, this range probably doesn't have a sail switch. I took off the panel protecting the cooling fan, thoroughly cleaned everything, and double-checked its wire connectors. It's been running at 450 degrees for an hour since reassembly without throwing the error again, which is longer than it's run without the error in almost a year.

Regarding the simmer controller, is that integral to the main controller board (part #00676192)? I watched the technician replace that during the warranty service. The issue that was not solved by the controller board replacement ten years ago was that the ignitors on the XLO burners would click continuously after turning off the burners. We lived with it by fiddling with the knobs until they stopped clicking. The burners stopped working altogether a few months ago.

Do any service techs here work on Bosch/Thermador appliances without being on Bosch's approved list? I tried a couple places before going with the place Bosch specified for the warranty service, and none of them would work on the range whether it was in or out of warranty. I don't want to waste my time searching for a tech if Bosch really does have service locked down.

Just about everyone should be servicing Bosch/Thermador. They are common products, there is no restriction on out of warranty service. 

The simmer controller is different than the main board. 

• Thanks 1