Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Chemical Smell From Fridge but still cooling

SAMSUNGSUX

SAMSUNGSUX

So I had an independent tech come out and he agreed that it smelled like Freon and noted that it was a closed system issue, had to have Samsung come out so it would be covered under the 5 year warranty.  Samsung tech agreed that it smelled like Freon, called his supervisor who told him (without seeing anything) it can't be because the unit is still cooling. He checked the frost pattern and said there was one but not over the whole thing.  He didn't check the freezer.   Tech installed a new ice maker and left. He said if it's refrigerant we would smell kit again when the it gets cool. Unit started cooling and was at 45 degrees, then I checked again and it was 64, then I hit power cool again and it finally made back to the set temp of 37.  Opened the middle drawer and I smelled it again.  ANy ideas what I have going on?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAMSUNGSUX

• 16345Ed

• J5*

• dave316

Top Posters In This Topic

ITs got a minor leak 

7 hours ago, SAMSUNGSUX said:

He checked the frost pattern and said there was one but not over the whole thing.

And there’s the big clue 

47 minutes ago, SAMSUNGSUX said:

I’m new to this, what might that indicate?

It means call Samsung back and begin your fight. Btw please Always include model number. 

Between partial evaporator frost and the smell there is more than likely a leak. 

SAMSUNGSUX

thanks, RF30HBEDBSR 

should I also check the freezer?  It’s a constant -8 even if I change it to 0, smells in there too.  Can really smell it on ice cubes If I make the large cubes for Whiskey.

SAMSUNGSUX

I’m not sure the tech knew what he was doing.  He was texting and calling his supervisor every step of the way.

SAMSUNGSUX

I didn’t, but will offer the next Samsung tech who doesn’t admit it’s a closed system issue a nice cold drink since it’s not Freon (jk)

4 hours ago, SAMSUNGSUX said:

I’m not sure the tech knew what he was doing.  He was texting and calling his supervisor every step of the way.

I know he didn’t know what he is doing 

and the supervisor has no idea , oh yes it’s cooling so can’t be a system issue

its a 50/50 with leaks 

major leaks mean no gas , no cooling 

minor leaks still cool but won’t cool completely and will suffer from high useage , door openings , inefficient systems will freeze ice since it doesn’t need deep freeze to freeze ice , meat will stay frozen for a long time as temps rise 

Bread and ice cream are the big key items to check as a first step , the temps don’t need to drift much for ice cream to turn soft , same with bread 

the frost pattern is the easy to see thing straightaway 

Next  Step if that wasn’t the big clue is to measure temps at the inlet and outlet of the Evap esp if you suspect a blockage 

Just measure condenser temp. Normal is ambient plus 30 degrees. 

I was talking to a plumber slash hvac tech and he said Freon doesn't  smell.... if u ask me it does have a smell just hard to describe it.to me it smells like a cherry air freshner if there was a thing .

5 hours ago, dave316 said:

I was talking to a plumber slash hvac tech and he said Freon doesn't  smell.... if u ask me it does have a smell just hard to describe it.to me it smells like a cherry air freshner if there was a thing .

It definatley smells 

makes me feel sick as well after opening a fridge and getting a good snifff of it 

I don’t really recall smelling minor leaks , it’s usually your big leak that’s dumped the full charge into the freezer compartment