Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Firechief510

PFSS5NFWASS GE Refrigerator ice maker frozen water in trey not in cubes

Firechief510

Thank you for your help, This PFSS5NFWASS is not making ice cubes but just seems to make frozen water and some cubes every now and then.

Could it be the water valve or something else? This unit has never made a lot of ice but never did this.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

MrApplianceMatt

Check the ice maker fill tube and make sure there isn't any ice buildup in it.

• Thanks 1

Firechief510

would that also allow water to freeze in the bottom of the ice trey?

MrApplianceMatt

When you say tray, do you mean the ice maker mold tray or the collection tray it dumps into? If it's the collection bucket, then yes. Ice buildup in the fill tube or ice maker fill funnel could redirect water intended for the ice maker mold into the bucket underneath.

• Like 1

Firechief510

Yes bucket where ice should be. 

MrApplianceMatt

Then I would investigate the fill tube, fill funnel, and lastly, that the ice tray mold, itself, isn't leaking from a crack or separation. Those are really the only way you would get that kind of ice buildup in the collection bucket.

Firechief510

Thank you, I’ll look to find a video of how to do that. You are the best

Firechief510

I think you are correct looks like ice build up back there. Thank you, I’ll look to find a video of how to do that. You are the best

Firechief510

Was able to get my head in there. And yep all iced up. Tried heat gun but since it’s outside just got the hose and melted after I pulled the ice maker out of the way. Fingers crossed. Thanks again. 

MrApplianceMatt

Be careful with the heat gun. You could damage the freezer liner. We use steam. Otherwise, well done. I'll keep my fingers crossed, too.