LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool Gold WRF989SDAM00 Fridge Water Dispenser Stopped Working

myname

Hi,

Whirlpool Gold WRF989SDAM00 (SN K22303903) - water dispenser stopped working yesterday.  

I was filling a cup with water using the 'measured fill' feature and while water was flowing... I heard a pop, and the water stopped.  I could smell something burning, not sure if it was electrical (like a board) or a motor.  Have tried to use the paddle and measured fill options to dispense water - with each I hear a click and the light comes on and buttons on control panel light up but no water. 

Over night the ice maker made ice.  

One other bit of info...  after a previous issue with this refrigerator (ice maker stopped working), I disconnected the deli drawer board (it was fried due to condensation dripping from the ice bin onto it).  I replaced the ice maker and all has been fine since then (with the deli board disconnected).  that was about 3 years ago...

Any guidance would be much appreciated!  

Thanks,
Jeff

It's very possible the dispenser board has failed. Not too difficult to remove and examine for failed component on the board if you got a noticeable pop-and-fizzle. About 300-350 for replacement board.

Thanks for the response.  I don't have the service manual...  youtubed it and I guess the dispenser board is the board behind the touchscreen?  The touchscreen works fine...  checked the board and didn't see or smell any burn on it.  I'll keep digging and try to locate it.  

Thanks! 

Dual water valve in ceiling of refrig section could have shorted the water valve coil to door side of valve - that would cause no door water but ice to still work.

Part number: WPW10341329

Part number: WPW10341329

• Like 1

Thanks for the response!  That makes sense...  I'll crack into it and see if that's the culprit.  

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Well... it was a relatively cheap try but changing out the dual water valve didn't fix the issue.  I guess the only other possibility is the dispenser board...  which I assume is the same as the touch screen control board?  

Thanks,
Jeff

Check the wiring going into the door at the hinge. These have a bad habit of developing harness damage in the door causing all sorts of ice/water issues even if temperature and display functions appear to function normally.