LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

AC fan stops after 15 minutes

Pwood

•  
  • Grasshoppah
  •  
  • 1 post
  • 0 Kendo Points

New to this site however have an issue similar to one I saw as I am looking for some direction. AC unit (old) has been running fine until couple days ago. Its comes on, may run for 15-20 minutes then fan stops & unit makes loud noise. Its hot. SO the unit is on, the fan is not spinning. In looking at the posts it seems like folks are being pointed in direction of capacitor or fan motor. I am semi handy-don't have an ohm meter (couldn't read it if I did) however some of these comments about the electrical are scary. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the bearings? " Makes loud noise " Can you oil them? Some of the old ones you could. Sewing machine oil may get you going for a little while. Dribble it on in the hole and work the fan blade till it spins free ( if it's one you can oil.  (If indeed that's the case) Window ACs done got cheap. If it's the motor bearings and you can afford to buy a new one go for it. Unless you want to fight rust and stuck motor shafts to fan blades...Sounds like your up the creek not knowing how to use and read a meter. 

All the best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like  a fan motor problem. If the fanblade will not come of the motor shaft

easily replace both