LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Washer Drum Loose - LG WM3770HWA

owenmerrick

owenmerrick

I have an LG front load washer, bought new in 2016.

The entire drum assembly is loose and banging around.  The machine works and cleans clothes, but bangs loudly with even a small load.

After removing the front cover, I can see that there is damage to plastic (counterweight) pieces in front of the drum from banging into the back of the door hinge.  One of the large lag-screw bolts was loose inside the washer.

The drum spins freely, the bearing seem fine.  I have seen references to issues with the drum spider, but I don't feel any play when spinning the drum inside the assembly.  

My issue seems more like an issue with the travel in the overall assembly.  Where should I be looking to understand what's going on?

Its possible that your dampeners are worn or broken allowing for way too much travel during rotation. There should be 4, 2 in the front and 2 in the back. Check these for wear or damage since you have the front off already.

owenmerrick

Well, I took out the dampers and couldn't see anything wrong with them.  I already ordered new dampeners, so I'll have to decide whether to switch them out or return them. Last night I put the weight back on, tightened the bolts, and am optimistic it's fixed.  Other than trying it out, is there any way to test the dampers?  This just seems like an odd issue to have - the weight detaching from the drum without any other problems.  

The tub weight bolts were...according to LG...overtightened during manufacturing...causing the weight...in some cases...to fall off.

Solution..

Replace the front tub cover.

Edited by john63
  • Like 2