Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore upright freezer 253.9200182 won't cool as well anymore

brianl0646

brianl0646

This is an old freezer from 92, but it's a good size and has always worked well. It usually stays around 10 degrees, but recently it's been hoovering around 32. It's making noises, but I can't tell if that is the compressor running. I don't remember how loud it usually was. I notice the coils on top inside are not frosty like they usually are. I don't really know where to start to troubleshoot.  I was thinking of trying the start relay because it's easy and cheap. But if I hear it click on,  that is most likely not the issue I'm assuming.

Where should I start?

6 hours ago, brianl0646 said:

I notice the coils on top inside are not frosty like they usually are. 

Is there any frost at all? Or are all coils bare?

If it's hovering around 32 then the compressor is running to some capacity. Likely you have a low refrigerant condition in a unit that is almost 30 years old. Where is the unit located, inside the house or in a garage/shed?

• Like 1

I agree with Matt. I suspect a sealed system issue. Unfortunately time for new freezer. 

• Like 1

brianl0646

I checked the coils this morning and they are cold and not bare like I saw before. They don't have a buildup on them, but they are cooling. It is located in a finished basement. It is running, and I hear it click on and off. Still 32 though. Would vacuuming out the coils behind and under do anything. It's pretty dusty in there.

I have no problem buying a new one, except I can't find one this size anywhere. It's 10 cubic feet, most are 13.8 which is too big for the space, or smaller. Plus my experience with new appliances is they break all the time, I figured this would go forever. 

It's worth a shot if they're all covered in dust and lint, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3 hours ago, brianl0646 said:

I hear it click on and off

How often is it clicking on and off? That could be the overload clicking on and off as the compressor tries to start, in which case a new relay/ overload may fix it.

3 hours ago, brianl0646 said:

Would vacuuming out the coils behind and under do anything. It's pretty dusty in there

Definitely. The dirty condenser may have been what caused the whole issue in the first place.

Looked at parts list, it has a static condenser on the back. Clean it with a brush and vacuum. Your description indicates no frost on shelves, agree with  MrAppilanceMatt and 16345Ed on sealed system issue. Do you have sealed system tools? If you want to keep it you'll have to tap into system. Easiest way into system is a 3 in 1 bullet valve for diagnostic proposes.

1 hour ago, vee8power said:

How often is it clicking on and off? That could be the overload clicking on and off as the compressor tries to start, in which case a new relay/ overload may fix it.

I don’t think since it’s doing some cooling. He reports temp of 32 degrees. 

Edited by 16345Ed

brianl0646

Thanks for everyone's help!

I'll try the vacuum route and see what happens, maybe I'll get a few extra degrees

I hear it click on and run normally. It just doesn't get super cold like it used to so I assume it's running,

As far as sealed system work, that is way above my ability, I'm not a pro, just a relatively handy homeowner.

I do see that Danby makes a 10.1 CF model that will fit in this space, so I do have an option if this one dies.

I appreciate all the responses!

brianl0646

I figured out the problem! The thermometer I had in it was innaccurate, and the one I put into it was an indoor thermometer that won't go below 32. I put an outside wireless one in and it''s staying steady at 4 degrees. The one I took out says 90 degrees in the house, so it was off by about 20 to 25 degrees.