Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

WTW5000DW1 Washer only draining

CJBogard

I have a Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 washer that when given power will run the drain pump but nothing else. Washer is 3 years old, not had any problems till now. I went to start a load of laundry but instead of filling when I hit the start button the drain started instead and would not stop. No indicator lights come on. I have tried unplugging it as well as taking apart the drain pump to make sure there is not a clog. Now as soon as I plug it in the drain pump starts and does not stop.   

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJBogard

• darren412

• ReStoreAppTech

• vee8power

you may have a bad main control board. that main control board in your machine has an internal water level indicator.  It may be thinking that the washer is full of water when its not. Since the drain pump comes on like you are saying. The tub must be empty of any water.  I would try first to unplug the washer and remove the console where the main control is located. remove the clear  small hose that is attached to the main control in the console and blow through the hose to make sure it is clear all the way through the hose to the air chamber on the side of the tub. if its clear you should be able to blow through that hose with no problem. Put the hose back on to the back of the main control from the same connection you removed it from on the main control. and plug the washer in again and try it. By unplugging it in the beginning and replugging it back in again, it  will also reboot the main control board in the process of blowing through that water level indication line.  The waher may or may not go back to normal operation at this point , but I would try this first since it wont cost you anything to do this.  If this does work and the cycle fills and starts working but only works temprarily,  that will most likely mean the main control board may be the problem.  make sure you post back your results here and good luck

Edited by darren412

19 hours ago, darren412 said:

you may have a bad main control board. that main control board in your machine has an internal water level indicator.  It may be thinking that the washer is full of water when its not. Since the drain pump comes on like you are saying. The tub must be empty of any water.  I would try first to unplug the washer and remove the console where the main control is located. remove the clear  small hose that is attached to the main control in the console and blow through the hose to make sure it is clear all the way through the hose to the air chamber on the side of the tub. if its clear you should be able to blow through that hose with no problem. Put the hose back on to the back of the main control from the same connection you removed it from on the main control. and plug the washer in again and try it. By unplugging it in the beginning and replugging it back in again, it  will also reboot the main control board in the process of blowing through that water level indication line.  The waher may or may not go back to normal operation at this point , but I would try this first since it wont cost you anything to do this.  If this does work and the cycle fills and starts working but only works temprarily,  that will most likely mean the main control board may be the problem.  make sure you post back your results here and good luck

Thank you for the suggestion Darren. I disconnected the line and was able to easily blow through it. Plugged the washer in and got the same result, started draining immediately.

Let the pump run until it finally stops; It seems like a long time, but it will eventually shut off. This is some kind of error mode that I've only seen in the coin operated version of this machine. Once the pump stops, I use diagnostic mode to look for any stored errors and proceed accordingly.

great glad you came back with an update. At this point for the novice home owner , diagnostics get a little more complicated since the simple procedure did not work.  If your qualified to procede further there is a tech sheet located on the iside front of the washer cabinet and it is stuck to the inside front in a plastic envelope.  That will help you to pull up any error codes as vee8power had mentioned. to gain access to this . all you do is remove the two top screws in the back that are located at the hinges for the top part of the cabinet. Then slide and pull the top forward towards you about a 1/2"  an lift the top up.  Make sure you shut off the water and tape the top lid down when you lift it up and back. That will keep the lid from falling back and damaging the top of the lid on something.  once this is done then you will see the tech sheet stuck in the envelope against the inside front of the cabinet.  this will explain to you how to pull up any error codes that may or may not specifically direct you to the problem area. Record the errors and then follow the procedures it explains on how to erase those error codes that have shown.  This way you can check any new error codes that pop up during all the testing procedures. Then you can go back into the error code procedure to see if there is something new that pops up in the error code section again. It will also help you to test specific loads and  mechanically operated parts. Again if your not qualified to get to this point and run the electrical tests with a meter if needed ,  then I highly reccomend you get a qualified repair person familiar with this diagnostic procedure , to help you expedite your issue with the washer.  Its gets a little more complicated at this point and if you dont have any real prior experience with these  types of diagnostic procedures and intuition then you get to the point your over your above your pay grade so to speak 🙂  and should really get a repair person at this point.  Post back your results if you get as far as being able to pull up the error codes.  The first error code will be the most recent one recorded.   Good luck CJbogard.

Edited by darren412

2 hours ago, vee8power said:

Let the pump run until it finally stops; It seems like a long time, but it will eventually shut off.

I agree, this. It could take 30-60 minutes, but in the handful of cases I've run across the unit will finally timeout of flood mode, then let you enter diagnostics, check and clear codes.

1 hour ago, CJBogard said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Got it going again. 

CJ   could you post back here if your able and let us know what you were able to do to get it back up and running ?

Sure, I let it run through the drain cycle like you suggested then checked the error codes. There were 2 pair of faults and errors, the first was a lid lock fault and overflow error the second was a long drain error and overflow fault. I ran the manual test mode to check the lid lock and it seemed fine. I also rechecked the pressure hose that you had me check to begin with to make sure it was still connected well and not dirty at the bottom. In thinking though what could cause it to go into the overflow fault I ran a manual check on the hot and cold valves. The cold came back with an issue so I pulled it apart and cleaned it the best I could then tried it again. (the screens on these inlets are way more annoying than any I have dealt with before)  after putting it back together everything has worked fine. 

Just FYI! I have also seen this error code appear when there is a siphoning situation when the drain hose is too far down the drain pipe. Have a great evening.

Aaron