LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Payne PA10JA030-A A/C Condensor Unit Contactor Malfunction

sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster

So, nine years later, I finally come back to this thread (but it's locked):

https://appliantology.org/topic/25982-payne-pa10ja030-a-ac-condensor-unit/

@applianceman18007260692 was right, the condensing unit goes out on a 90+ day... I heeded his warning, and got a replacement contactor. 

When I went out to check why the fan in the house was blowing but the condensing unit was not running, I could manually depress the spring loaded switch and the condensing unit would run.  Thinking that the issue is the contactor finally went bad, I went ahead and replaced it with the new one (that was sitting on the shelf for 9 years). Got it all hooked up just like discussed on the above-linked thread... no change.  Well, it got hotter in the house, but the condensing unit still only runs when the contact is manually depressed.

then I noticed that the compressor was only running a bit then shutting off, but the fan continues to run.

Seems that it's not the contactor... any suggestions?  Check the capacitor?  (I will need to buy a different multimeter...)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sbdivemaster

• WOOKIE

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your freon pressure. The low pressure switch could be cutting it out. A classic symptom would be it would run for a little ,cutoff then when the pressure rises it will repeat the cycle .

sbdivemaster

After digging around and doing some testing, I think I have determined that 24v is not going across the contactor... I am able to set the thermostat  to lower temp, the blower fan kicks on, I manually depress the contactor and the condensing unit fan and compressor both turn on and will run.  There is cool air coming from the register  closest to the blower, but not COLD air, leading me to think it needs a coolant recharge, causing a low pressure switch to cut off the 24v to the contactor.

I hate to do it, but I have called in a pro... 😐 I will update later.

Have you checked the control wires at the wire nuts to confirm that you have 24 volts.  If you do then the issue is in the condenser if not, Check your indoor unit for a condensate safety switch . If the condensate line is plugged it will cut the low voltage to the condenser. Check for a broken control wire or a lost 24 volt common.