Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

kitchenaid KSCS23ftSS02 compressor will not start

RocketRob

Hi there, newbie Rob here, what an awesome resource here! 

Bought this fridge as not working for 50 bucks. It fully lights up inside and all temp controls are working as well as fan behind the compressor. This is my 1st shot at fridge repair, so I took the bait that if the compressor was not shorted, high likelyhood the inverter was blown. Checked compressor resistance as well. all 3 phases identical at approx 70 ohms. Ordered the new inverter. In the box was a tip sheet that said be sure the 5v from the control board is present at the input to the Inverter, or it will not run. I checked for this voltage and it was not present. disconnected 5v cable from inverter, rechecked. Still no 5v. I buzzed the 5v line back to the output from the control board and path is closed with no ground shorts. Pulled the control board, The infamous W10219463, but cant find any physical symptoms of a failure. I have no idea where to find a schematic for this board to try and troubleshoot at card level. I tried an online parts bag deal. 4 relays and a 220microfarad cap. replaced these parts and still no joy. all symptoms remain the same.would be grateful if anyone has come across this failure symptom. I suppose I could send my board in for repair, but I hate to give in, especially if its just a blown relay, cap or diode. Or not a problem of control board at all? Thanks for taking a look!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RocketRob

• Budget Appliance Repair

• PenlopePendleton

14 hours ago, RocketRob said:

Checked compressor resistance as well. all 3 phases identical at approx 70 ohms.

This doesn't sound right - are you sure it was 70 Ohms?    If I'm correct I think each phase should be 7 to 10 Ohms, any chance your meter was on the wrong setting?

You will not get or find any schematics for board level repair for any appliances except LG and Samsung, (it could be just one or the other of those two - I don't remember.   Which ever one it is they actually have schematics of each part of the board down to component level).

Thanks Willie, you were right about compressor winding resistance.  It was a week ago and I misplaced a decimal point. I just rechecked. Each winding measures 6.6 ohms and no shorts, so compressor is ok.

Without any resources, I guess Im going to have to replace the control board, or send it into one of these online repair places. I checked about the schematics. yes, both LG and Samsung are available through websites , not a whisper of anything kitchenaid or whirlpool

Appliance manufactures are pretty much know for Black Boxing there boards - if you want to do board level repair you have to know what your doing and figure it out on your own as far as the manufactures are concerned.

I was really surprised at the detail for each electronic circuit on the boards in Samsung? and/or LG? products in their service manuals.

• 2 months later...
PenlopePendleton
On 6/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, RocketRob said:

The infamous W10219463, 

You know this doesn't have to be rebuilt anymore.. Right?  They have been making the replacement for this control and the one ending with 462 for a couple of years now.