LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

LG Refrigerator LMX31985ST/01

Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

To evacuate system with twin cooling, what procedure would be performed to open and access both evaps?

Two ways. First is to plug in unit wait about 6 to 9 sec and unplug. Like to have my hand on 3 way valve to feel it vibrate. Second method is to put into first step of diagnostic mode.

Silver Bullet

Thank you! I'm very new to LG.

If you or any one could run over the steps with me on the compressor change out procedure or have had experience with issues after changing the compressor... I could use some guildence. I'll start from the beginning.... Compressor running. Not cooling in either compartment. Tapped system and low side pressures around 50. From what I was tought that indicated a bad compressor. So I checked resistance at compressor and on had one reading. Again, was tought that it's a bad compressor. So I  evacuated system, replaced compressor, filter dryer, and vacuumed down system. Plugged in unit and lights work, fans work, and board is functioning. But....still no compressor.! Was trying to charge using amp draw but did not get any and my pressure on low side just stayed still. Still no action from Compressor. What am I over looking? Anyone that has had this experience or just has the experience I could use some help! Thank you for your time.

Considering what you have done and if I'm reading correctly - the compressor is not running? Did you cut open the old dryer to inspect?  If possible please cut open to check. If clean beads you are good the go. If black powder you'll have to blow out high and low side with nitrogen. If burnt oil is in dryer you'll need to flush system.  Also when you charge system do a measured charge. Amp draw on a inverter compressor is almost meaningless.  

Was the new compressor the newer style with different pinout?  

Silver Bullet

I had bottle on scale as well. Only put abount an ounce before plugging in. But it never started. Pressure was at .7 on low side and never moved. Compressor never even tried. With the trouble I've had with this unit I can see why everyone I talk to walk the other way. But as far as the pin point it is opposite of old compressor. Part #  tca36511310.

Silver Bullet

Fyi I don't have access to service manules as others do. I probably need to just pay for the other membership to gain that Intel. 

• Like 1

Only 2 of the pins will have resistance reading. The wires need to connect to those pins. Usually just rotate connector counter clockwise from original position  about 1/3 of a turn.  If your new compressor came a black wire cover it is the newer style pinout.

10 hours ago, Farrin Jennings said:

Fyi I don't have access to service manules as others do. I probably need to just pay for the other membership to gain that Intel. 

If you are a professional at this, an upgraded membership can easily pay for itself. 

He is a "Master Samurai Tech Student", don't they have full access like professionals?

Silver Bullet

I just discovered that there was a form to fill out when I started the academy. I looked over that...so when I signed in I was only having access to the DIY. Forums. After contacting administration yesturday they informed me I do get access and He took care of the form for me. And yes, now I do have that access.  That was of GREAT help. I'm learning the site now and figuring how go navigate through it and getting familiar with it now. I've also checked out the linear compressor overview and have figured out with the help where I went wrong with this particular  LG. Thanks for responding to those that have!

look at this thread in repair forum: LG linear compressor replacement... new compressor throws code . 

Silver Bullet

Ok I've Neve had this much problems changing out a compressor.! I figured out the no start on compressor. It was the electrical to pins. So I vacuum it down again to around 700 microns and weighed in charge. Watched my pressures drop on the low side and raise on the high side. I waited patiently and the pressures stoped at 11.1 on low side and 80 on the high side. I'm trying not to turn around on this. Got to much time invested. Any suggestions on the pressures readings.. oh and no heat at condenser. I would so appreciate any feed back. 

Silver Bullet

Thanks for all the past help guiding me in the right direction. Found out after all the frustration they sent me the wrong compressor.  Lessoned learned...Check before install.