Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Defrost problem Inglis WPW10292244 refrigerator

Yan

Hello, the evaporator in my freezer is full of ice. I tested the defrost circuit with the maintenance mode of the control board (Jazz). It returned an open code (O). I tested the thermostat and it seem to be ok ( closed ). So I tried to do a forced defrost. The compressor stopped as specified and it seemed to be in defrost cycle , but the ice didnt melt. 

So I will need a little help to do some more testing . Can I test the defrost element with an ohmeter? Whats the value I should normally read in Ohm  ? Is there someting I can easely test on the board? Like reading voltage on some pins or Ohm reading of the defrost circuit at the board? 

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yan

• evaappliance

• MrApplianceMatt

• Vance R

You can check the heater from end to end for continuity with a meter if the meter is so equipped with that function. The correct model number will help us help you.

The heater and bi-metal can be tested meter set to ohms.  Don't remember specific heater valve, 20 to 100 ohms should be ok for heater. Bi-metal should read zero ohms when it's temp is below 15 - 19 degrees fahrenheit.  The test you ran indicates open in defrost circuit. Most likely part failure is bi-metal, followed by heater and/or connections. Last would be wiring. Testing for voltage is kinda hard because with board sense open circuit it removes power.

Hello again guys, I’m now looking for the tech sheet for my refrigerator model. It seem to go by the part number W10476805 . But the only one I came by is 16023133. And I cant find the paper in the place its supposed to be when you purchase the refrigerator new. Someone can help me on this one? A pdf or image ? Thanks a lot. 

Or just tell me if the pinout on the 16023133 tech sheet is the same as mine. If so I will be able to probe at least from the ground up to the board and isolate the problem. Thanks.

Ok. I still didnt have any tech sheet but I’ve done some further test since I had to defrost manualy with a air dryer the evaporator. So before I stop the refrigerator I tested with the maintenance menu the thermostat circuit. The JAZZ board still returned me an O (open) circuit. I then probed it disconnected from the circuit and still frozen. The thermostat is ok. It read 0 ohm. So its closed. I probed the resistance of the heating element ( disconnected from the circuit) It read 33 ohm. So its not burn open or shorted if the resistance value is ok. So everything in this area looks fine. I tested the voltage at the two disconected terminals of the heating element and I mesured nothing. So I started a manual defrost in the maintenance menu of the Jazz board. It took again a voltage reading. Around 15v was present at the terminal. So I plugged the terminals back....nothing seem to happen. So I back proped the terminal and it read 0v. I disconnected the terminals, still in forced defrost mode, and now I read 14v. I reconnected the terminal and nothing 0v. So everything seem to point in the direction of a defective JAZZ board. What you guys think?

******Message to the moderators******  Could you please delete this post entirely. Also, I dont know why, but I'm unable to edit any message. No edit option appear on screen to do so. I tried with a tale and a computer and aways the same problem of no edit option.