Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

refrigerator "Start device" 216954205 doesn't have N & L terminal labels and is NOT a "plug and play" replacement in kenmore 253.52349303 !

Colin Q Bang

Colin Q Bang

I was really annoyed to find that
1) the official OEM substitute* Start Device (AKA start relay) was not plug-compatible  -- the plastic shroud/boot/whaddayacallit plug that encloses 2 wires and plugs into the original part, does not similarly plug in to the substitute part and
2) the wires aren't even "pin compatible" -- the metal sheath ("female disconnect") on each wire can't fit on either blade on the substitute part (due to surrounding plastic clearly meant for a different whaddayacallit plug than the original) and
3) those blade contacts on the substitute part ARE NOT LABELED (the original part labels them with an "L" and "N", respectively, molded into the device's plastic box enclosure.

tl;dr :
I can deal with (1) and (2) (clip & strip the wires, attach new female disconnects or remove some plastic on the new part) if someone could help me out with which wire goes on which (unlabeled) blade connector in the substitute part, 216954205. They are fairly thick insulated wires, one red, one (light) blue. I don't know where they lead (I have a wiring diagram for just this subsystem -- these wires are shown going off the edge, so not helpful) but I'm sure a lot of y'all will know what the two wires would be that would plug into the start relay/"start device".

BTW, so far, buying the original part doesn't seem to be an option, may be no longer made -- everything I've found by searching on that part # turns out to actually be this substitute part.)

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Colin Q Bang

• Jump Start

Top Posters In This Topic

Jump Start

You would be better off getting the Frigidaire kit. part number 5304491944. It will come with a harness that fit.. you just have to connect old wires to it, then it will plug in 

Colin Q Bang

Thanks, that looks like what probably repairclinic.com, appliancepros.com, and searspartsdirect.com should be offering when i search for original (discontinued) part number 241527802 ! And I probably need the capacitor too (tests infinite resistance, though seems to pass voltage test taking charge from a 9v battery!?) so it is a good price, but is there a way to know if the electrical specifications of this kit are the best match for my fridge model?

Thanks!

Colin Q Bang

Hmmm, I wrote "it is a good price" because it is less than OEM specified substitute capacitor + relay bought separately, but https://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-starter-kit-5304491944-ap5691827.html says "Sorry This part is not compatible. See parts for model 25352349303"

So I might as well get a generic "3 in one" device such as https://www.amazon.com/Supco-RCO810-START-Hard-Start/dp/B00A8O0E5Y for one quarter the price, right? I mean, either way I am simply getting a start relay (aka PTC thermistor), an overload protection device, and a capacitor, right? Ones whose electrical specs don't quite match the original equipment but might be good enough anyway, right?

Thanks for any input or clarification anyone can provide. What I really need is either an answer to my wiring question or to know how to know what devices actually are a good enough match for this refrigerator. Especially for the "start relay", since the capacitors tend to have a bunch of specs printed right on them but for the PTC thermistor and "overload protector" combined into a so-called start device or start relay, I don't know any of the actual technical electrical specifications.

Many people on forums seem to have a negative opinion on the "3 in one" devices and I think the reason, or the only *actual* reasoning i've seen, is simply that they are a "one size fits all" answer that might not acgtually fit all (i.e. the devices' electrical specs of which I just spoke). If that is right, using a wrong or random frigidaire "start kit" is doing exactly the same thing. Or are the "hard start" devices many pros seem to be harsh on different from so-called "3 in one" devices which pretty clearly are just what they say -- generic substitutes for the 3 devices you need anyway (ptc "relay", overload protecgtor, capacitor), put into one unit.

• 2 weeks later...
Colin Q Bang
On 7/9/2019 at 4:04 PM, Jump Start said:

You would be better off getting the Frigidaire kit. part number 5304491944. It will come with a harness that fit.. you just have to connect old wires to it, then it will plug in 

The advice turned out to be unintentionally funny because buying that item (almost) manages to fail to answer that question of which goes to which. It was meant to answer it, of course, but the instruction sheet supplied with the kit says to connect the wire leads on the supplied new molex connector to the fridge wires (which plugged into the relay/overload protector you are replacing) according to color. Now, never mind that counting on the color of the existing wires in your fridge might not be the best practice, no the reason it is funny is that the molex-connected wires supplied in the current version of the kit are actually in fact both white:lol: :roflmao: But in the instruction sheet's black and white photo of the connector plugged into the relay/overload device, you can see one of the wires is darker than the other. If one of your fridge wires is red and you connect it to that one, probably you'll be right.

According to an answer to me from appliancepartspros.com, apparently the canonical sensical  answer -- which you can verify with your fridge's wiring manual docs -- is that this terminal connects to the "overload protector" device. But since it is combined with the PTC thermistor "relay" into one unit sealed in plastic, I don't know how you could know which terminal that is.