LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator Model ESS25XGMB (2001) not cooling

boxer

GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator Model ESS25XGMB (2001) not cooling

Posting a recent experience in case it helps others fix a similar problem

Problem: Neither freezer nor fresh food side cooling. No humming sound from compressor or condenser fan or evaporator fan. Lights come on inside both compartments if doors opened.

Followed test procedure to check main control board as given in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQKqF5MgDE (excellent video, highly recommend the full series of videos on this channel)

Found 120 Volt AC power coming to board (tested between orange lead, Pin 1, of connector at bottom right and right-most exposed contact of blue connector in the middle at the bottom of the board).

Opened both freezer and fresh food doors and left open for at least 3 minutes to force the fans to come on.

Then checked for power going to the condenser and evaporator fans by checking for 12-14V DC between Pins 3 and 4 (counting from the left) of connector J2 (left connector in second row of connectors at the top of the board), and then between Pins 3 & 5 for the other fan. Getting only 6 volts, indicating possible bad main control board.

Turned off power to the fridge, pulled off connector J2 to recheck voltages directly on the board (in case I was not getting a good contact with my probes through the connector). Turned power back on, and very soon heard the compressor start. Checked the voltages again directly on the board, getting 13 Volts for both fans. With power still on I plugged J2 back in and heard the fans start.

Waited for 5 hours, freezer was down to 2 degrees F and fridge down to 34 degrees F. Success!

So, what was the problem? I didn’t fix anything but the fridge is working again. Did I reset something on the control board when I unplugged and then re-plugged J2?

Posting this procedure to help others plus would appreciate any insight on what made the fridge work.

Thanks.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boxer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic