Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electrolux Electric Dryer Model # EIMED60JIW4 Vibration Noise

bowhunter

I have been working on this dryer which when starting a cycle it runs normal then it begins to make a gradual noise which increases as the cycle continues. Within the cycle it will run quietly for a few moments only to return to its noisy “norm”. Took it completely apart 4 times. I changed all three drum roller supports in the back, ( one was definitely bad, so I changed all three) tried changing the motor only to have it do the same thing. ( put old motor back in) Changed the idler wheel, still the same noise. Ran it all apart without any drum in it, or top, quiet. Put it back together and the noise returned . It usually starts about five minutes into the cycle and gets louder and keeps it a a fevered pitch. I went outside to check the vent to see if there was any air and there was none. Could it be that this dryer has back pressure and it’s causing this awful vibration? When it was all apart it couldn’t create its air circulation since it was wide open.  I have never ran up against something like this. A motor with bad bushings/ bearings usually sounds like this, but not this time. What do you all think?🤔

Also cleaned all lint from lint screen housing and inside of bottom of the dryer. This machine was one of the worst examples of lint retention I have seen. ( maybe because it can’t breathe) I had left the job and had thought of running it with the vent removed. The customers grandson is going to go under the house and look at the venting and clean it. I will probably return and try my hunch before he does that. 

Doesn’t sound like your issue but stuff gets in the drum baffles and makes noise. 

A cracked blower wheel can cause noises like this, as the blower wheel warms up the crack can separate more and cause vibrations.

• Like 2

I would inspect the blower housing wheel for any cracks or mis alignment of the blower wheel. Any lint or any kind of build up on the blower wheel will cause vibration and noise.   I would also take a good look at the motor mounts. I know you replaced the motor but a mis aligned motor mount can cause vibration issues through the blower wheelalso.  I would take a good look at the original motors mounts and inspect them for any loosness or wear.   You also may just be experiencing vibration noises because you have taken the machine apart from its original state. When heat hits the interior cabinet during the cycle , metal expands and contracts and normal vibrating noises under heat conditions might occur.   

A trick I do that works MOST of the time to determine if the blower is the issue, is to run it till the noise starts then turn the heat off and see if it slowly gets quiet and smooth running  ( 1-2 minutes)

Sounds like the blower wheel especially since it increases as it runs.

I've seen many on Electrolux dryers and many times with no visible defects.  

• Like 1

Darren412, It was making the noise prior to touching the machine. That’s why I was there. 

6 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Darren412, It was making the noise prior to touching the machine. That’s why I was there. 

👍      One more thing make sure the belt was not replaced by the home owner and they just may not have told you.  If the belt is the wrong belt and is too tight , it will throw the motor and mounts off and that transfers to the blower wheel and housing making excesive noises.   It sounds like it is the blower wheel and housing.  the blower wheel may be scraping the blower housing in the back possibly.   Remember also that sometimes it will take a load of weight from the laundry in the machine to cause the noise.  Sometimes the noise goes away when its empty but put some wet clothes in and then the motor when it turns on will tweek a little bit with the weight of the clothes and then cause noises that way also wich would most likely make the motor mounts amd clamps suspect.  Make sure the motor mount clamps are secured tightly and on the proper way also.  Good luck ok. I hope you eventually find the culprit. 

Thank you to all, (especially Evaappliance)It was the blower assembly. Had the homeowner run the dryer with no heat = no noise. When I ran the dryer when it was all apart the heat couldn’t circulate through the blower assembly. As soon as it was all together the heat would expand the blower making it vibrate awfully. I have changed out this same blower assembly on Frigidaire dryers but they were obvious. Over 37 years ago a lot of us technicians use to meet at a local parts vender and share our stories of what we happened to have been working on and was a real learning experience. Appliantology generates this same experience. Thanks again all, the part is on order.