LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool WED4800XQ1

perk3384

So our dryer took a vacation and has decided it doesn’t want to heat anymore.  When I turn it to no heat she runs, but only when I have the dial held down.  Any ideas where to look? I checked the thermal fuse with a voltmeter and it was all good.  So now I’m not sure where to head.

thanks,

Shawn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perk3384

• EthanRanft

• evaappliance

• swb28

probably a bad timer,   newer  whirlpool dryers are very prone to the timers going bad at about 2 1/2  to 3 years old

5 hours ago, perk3384 said:

but only when I have the dial held down.

11 hours ago, perk3384 said:

So our dryer took a vacation and has decided it doesn’t want to heat anymore.  When I turn it to no heat she runs, but only when I have the dial held down.  Any ideas where to look? I checked the thermal fuse with a voltmeter and it was all good.  So now I’m not sure where to head.

thanks,

Shawn

So the problem is it doesn’t heat, or the motor doesn’t run?

Nope doesn’t heat at all, but checked and was a bad timer.  When the new timer comes in on Tuesday I’ll let ya know, but should be golden.  Thanks guys!!

Checked the contacts in the back with a multimeter and got no continuity.  Took her out and she sounded like a broken light bulb which I imagine are broken contacts inside.

Attached the new timer today...works like a charm again!  Thanks again guys, two appliances down in a week.  Hoping I stay good for a bit without appliance repair.

Have a Whirlpool electric dryer. Over heating and blowing the thermal fuse. Suspected it just gave up the goat. Replaced and ran great until it blew again and noted that it's getting really HOT, hence the thermal fuse.  Checked the heater coil for continuity and short to chassis, No faults noted. Ordered and installed new thermal cut out fuse and high limit thermostat located off the heater element shroud ( high limit seems to work properly and opens at approx. 300 degrees.  Still going hot and blew another thermal fuse. All that's left is the thermistor. Checked for blockage and good flow out the vent.  Appreciate any suggestions.

15 hours ago, swb28 said:

Have a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Need to start a new topic with your model number  

• 1 month later...

Whirlpool Electric Dryer Mdl. WED9500TC1 overheating. Changed all the obvious things despite all of the items checking out resistance and continuity wise.  Just throwing parts at it. Never cycles off. Currently doing 9 minute timed dry cycles. Sort of suspect faulty replacement thermal cycling thermostat?

Unplug your dryer. Remove the top. You'll see the main control on the left. Remove the two or three screws, squeeze and push the black plastic wire retainers and rotate the bracket to where you can see the board. Look for the red and black wires going to your heat relay. Unplug the two wires and check for continuity. You should read an open circuit. If you have continuity, replace the control.

9 hours ago, Scottekarate said:

Unplug your dryer. Remove the top. You'll see the main control on the left. Remove the two or three screws, squeeze and push the black plastic wire retainers and rotate the bracket to where you can see the board. Look for the red and black wires going to your heat relay. Unplug the two wires and check for continuity. You should read an open circuit. If you have continuity, replace the control.

Yep , also if you know for sure the element is good , you can see if it heats on air fluff, if it does, odds are It will be the afore mentioned relay.