Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Amana SX22NW Refrigerator Condenser Fan Doesn't Start

TinkeringNovice

TinkeringNovice

The condenser fan on my old (25-30 years old) Amana SX22NW fridge doesn't start on it's own, but seems to run fine when I give it a nudge. The fridge and freezer still seems to work, but I want to try to fix this issue before it leads to other issues. The condenser works, it's just the fan that won't start. Once I start the fan spinning, it will continue to spin until the condenser switches off (though the fan is pretty loud). There doesn't seem to be a standalone start capacitor for the fan, and I haven't tried pulling out the start relay that's connected to both the fan and the condenser because it's difficult to access and I figured the fact that the condenser is running means that the start relay isn't bad. Should I check that out first? Or do I need to replace the fan motor? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

When you say "condenser is running" you probably mean COMPRESSOR is running, right?

Since the condenser fan is spinning after you give it nudge, it's probably just too old and needs to be replaced. Turn of the power before replacing it though.

• Like 1

TinkeringNovice

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I meant compressor. 

I've been having trouble finding the exact motor that for this fridge, but found this one that says it fits the fridge. However not all of the specs line up with what's shown on the fan in my fridge.

My motor: 2.3W; 0.15A; 115V; 60/50Hz; 1300 RPM; Clockwise Rotation.

The motor from the link: 2W; 0.28A; 115V; 50/60Hz; 1550 RPM; Clockwise Rotation

Will any of these differences cause issues?

This fan motor should work just fine, and a good price too!

When you remove the fan shroud, I think there is a Run-Capacitor for the compressor attached to it, so be careful with it not to get shocked. Discharge it with a 10,000 ohm resistor or insulated screwdriver.

• Like 1

TinkeringNovice

Thank you all for your help!! 

Slav, I installed the fan you approved, and it's been working great! Is there anything I can do to keep this fan running for a long time? Doesn't seem like there's a way to oil it easily... do they just have a limited lifespan before the need to be replaced? My father's fridge fan is starting to get a bit more noisy, and I want to help him do anything possible to keep it from dying.

Keep the condenser clean. But for the evaporator fan, you can try oiling it, depending on the style. Usually only helps a little bit, you’ll end up replacing it later

• Like 1