Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE fridge PFE29PSDASS freezer not cold enough, fridge fine

Suff

My GE french door refrigerator freezer section is not cold enough (~20F, but set to 0).  Fridge section is fine (holds at 37F).  In running the tests, the fans and thermistors seem to be reading correctly.  When I exposed the freezer evaporator coils, there was an ice block in the upper right corner, but the heater works.  I manually defrosted the block, but it didn't help.  The evaporator coils DO NOT have a light frost on them (only on the supply tube).  After reading other posts, I believe this means I have a sealed system leak. 

Is there a definitive check to know if it's the sealed system (I don't have refrigerant equipment)?  I had to replace the inverter and condenser fans about a year ago.  Is there any chance it could be the inverter again?  Is there anything else it could be?  If it's a sealed system leak, it seems like I should get a new fridge, but I hate to throw this one in a landfill.  It's only 7 years old.

I'd appreciate any help.

With these symptoms, sounds like it could be a sealed system problem.

If you can find an IR temperature gun and point it at the middle of (clean) condenser coils, the temperature should be about 30°F above ambient temperature in a healthy system. However, if the compressor is running and all fans are running, but the temperature of the condenser coils is just about the same as room temperature (below 100°F), there is some sort of sealed system issue.

Good luck.

23 hours ago, Suff said:

My GE french door refrigerator freezer section is not cold enough (~20F, but set to 0).  Fridge section is fine (holds at 37F).  In running the tests, the fans and thermistors seem to be reading correctly.  When I exposed the freezer evaporator coils, there was an ice block in the upper right corner, but the heater works.  I manually defrosted the block, but it didn't help.  The evaporator coils DO NOT have a light frost on them (only on the supply tube).  After reading other posts, I believe this means I have a sealed system leak. 

Is there a definitive check to know if it's the sealed system (I don't have refrigerant equipment)?  I had to replace the inverter and condenser fans about a year ago.  Is there any chance it could be the inverter again?  Is there anything else it could be?  If it's a sealed system leak, it seems like I should get a new fridge, but I hate to throw this one in a landfill.  It's only 7 years old.

I'd appreciate any help.

The only other possibility would be if the coil on the 3 way valve became loose from the valve itself.  The 3 way valve has a coil that switches the capillary tube to move the Freon from one evaporator to the other. I have seen one where the coil came off or slipped.  In this case I was able to move it back into the correct position.  It is possible this is the case because the FF evaporator is cooling enough to keep the refrigerator temperature at 37.  It's at least worth looking at it. Check the wire connections at it as well.  The connector also connects to the condenser fan motor. 

Maybe you could give GE a call and see if they will help with the repair costs.....Although it's unlikely due to its age. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.  It turns out that the ice build up in the upper right corner of the freezer evaporator was the problem.  It was frozen over the evaporator thermistor.  The service manual says the defrost heater heats until either the evaporator thermistor reaches 50F, or 45 minutes, I believe it was heating up my freezer because the thermistor was packed in ice.  When I checked the evaporator for frost, my guess is that I caught it before the compressor had run very long so no frost had built up.  I was also surprised that it took about 18 hours for the freezer temp to get down to 0 F.  So, the freezer is working fine again, but the question remains of why the ice built up in the first place.  Any ideas?  The heater and freezer fan are working.

18hrs is a long time to pull down to 0. Also, the thermistor does tell the control when to cut out of defrost, but it won’t ever make it defrost long enough to cause a cooling problem. Your reasoning makes sense, but it just isn’t something that causes the heater to stay on too long. So keep monitoring it, you may not be out of the woods yet