Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung Fridge Model: RB194ACRS alarm on and off

Leigh Graham

Hello,

This fridge has randomly started having the alarm tone go on and off.  I have seen videos where people talk about the reed switch but it seem like that relates to the light not turning off.  It was driving me nuts this evening so I have disconnected the reed switch.  It made some noise afterwards but has been quiet for a bit now.  Am I on the right path to resolve this issue or should I be looking in a different direction?

if your refering to the tone sound alarm for when the doors are left open. Start there and replace the switches first. for each door.  assuming the noise went away when you first disconnected the " upper " door reed switches and your posative the plungers on the switches are making total contact and are getting depressed all the way in. Real  small investment , short money .  and is most likely the issue your having.  The reed switches serve a couple purposes. one is to make sure the interior lighting goes off when you close the door . another is that it sends a signal to alarm you that the doors are open. Another sign that the switches are not functioning is if the temperatures in your fresh food section seem to warm up more than your normal settings. If  the switches are not shutting off the lighting system in the fresh food section and the lighting emits heat, that will also bring up your temperature readings.  If you know the theory of how the switches work then you can test them with a meter.  use a small piece of card board and close the doors on the cardboard where the door magnets seal the door. if you can see that the lights shut of. then theres a good probability the switches may be ok and theres another issue.   Replace the switches and start there. . It does sound like its the switches from what you are describing. 

• Like 1

Thanks Darren,

I'll try that to start then. 

I was questioning as the reed switch controlled the interior light perfectly.  The sound isn't exactly the open door alarm.  It is the cycling of the alarm on and off tone.  The alarm on and of indicator light also cycles with the sound.

• 1 month later...

Samsung was out of stock so I had to wait for it to come in.  I have replaced the switch.  The alarm cycle does not happen so often but it still happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok the problem came back just as bad as it was before.  I isolated it to the switch control board on the front of the fridge.

Board pic

After removing the board the sound went away.  The part was going to be $130 so I figured I would have some colleagues who worked on circuit boards experiment with it.  Since the alarm off switch was self cycling they replaced that switch on the board.  It has been installed for nearly a week with no alarms.  I am going to put the fridge back together and considering the issue resolved.