Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Leigh Graham

Samsung Fridge Model: RB194ACRS alarm on and off

Leigh Graham

Hello,

This fridge has randomly started having the alarm tone go on and off.  I have seen videos where people talk about the reed switch but it seem like that relates to the light not turning off.  It was driving me nuts this evening so I have disconnected the reed switch.  It made some noise afterwards but has been quiet for a bit now.  Am I on the right path to resolve this issue or should I be looking in a different direction?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

darren412

if your refering to the tone sound alarm for when the doors are left open. Start there and replace the switches first. for each door.  assuming the noise went away when you first disconnected the " upper " door reed switches and your posative the plungers on the switches are making total contact and are getting depressed all the way in. Real  small investment , short money .  and is most likely the issue your having.  The reed switches serve a couple purposes. one is to make sure the interior lighting goes off when you close the door . another is that it sends a signal to alarm you that the doors are open. Another sign that the switches are not functioning is if the temperatures in your fresh food section seem to warm up more than your normal settings. If  the switches are not shutting off the lighting system in the fresh food section and the lighting emits heat, that will also bring up your temperature readings.  If you know the theory of how the switches work then you can test them with a meter.  use a small piece of card board and close the doors on the cardboard where the door magnets seal the door. if you can see that the lights shut of. then theres a good probability the switches may be ok and theres another issue.   Replace the switches and start there. . It does sound like its the switches from what you are describing. 

• Like 1

Leigh Graham

Thanks Darren,

I'll try that to start then. 

I was questioning as the reed switch controlled the interior light perfectly.  The sound isn't exactly the open door alarm.  It is the cycling of the alarm on and off tone.  The alarm on and of indicator light also cycles with the sound.

darren412

Post back if replacing the reed switch fixed your problem