Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE WPRE8150H0WT Noisy then Belt Fell Off & Washer Pulley Low

ndzied1

I have a GE Washing Machine (WPRE8150H0WT) that has been noisy and today stopped spinning. I thought the belt must have broken. I opened up the front and found the belt had fallen off and was sitting in the bottom of the housing. It is worn but not broken. I want to make sure I buy the right parts to fix this. No matter what I'm getting a new belt and I think i need the Shaft And Tube Asm (also seems to be called the Shaft/Mode shift assembly). I have several pictures and short descriptions below.  All help appreciated.

The driven pulley is no longer in line with the motor pulley. It appears that the driven pulley has moved lower but I'm not sure why. The offset in the picture is not from the camera angle; the big pulley is significantly lower than the motor pulley.   More Info below this picture

LowPulley.jpg?dl=0

I also see what looks like a metal wire wrapped around the shaft directly above the driven pulley. More Info Below this picture

WireOnShaft.jpg?dl=0

I also found a broken plastic ring and a single ball that looks like it came from a ball bearing in the bottom. More Information below this picture.

Ring.jpg?dl=0

There is a gap below the wash tub and the Shaft/Mode Shift Assembly looks like is is siting lower than usual.

Gap.jpg?dl=0

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ndzied1

• David Jero

You need a new Mode Shifter.  WH38X10017. Its comes with a new tub seal. It looks like the tub seal leaked.  Sometimes you need to replace the Tub as well.  Sometimes the new seal does not press in tight. Pick up a new belt too. 

• 3 weeks later...

David, thanks very much! Sorry for the delay in reply.

I installed the mode shifter. and new belt. There was a little leakage but seems to be getting less with use? I'm fixing it because I can't afford new right now so if I can get a few more years out of this I'll be happy.  

I do have something else going on. I found small bits of plastic in the wash tub. Actually, I noticed this in the last load before the bearing blew out. It looks like there is something worn away in the tub cover. I can't tell if some piece of plastic got in there and got eaten up by the rotation of the tub. Or, if there was a wear strip in there that got eaten away and not I'm only seeing the last pieces of it. 

Cover1.jpg?dl=0

Cover2.jpg?dl=0

Cover3.jpg?dl=0

Peel as much off as you can.. Either the top of the basket was rubbing o n the tub cover from having a loose basket nut. Or something was rubbing it in the load.  Make sure that big basket hub nut is as tight as you can get it. I had an impact socket and a half inch drive impact. 

I hammered the crap out of the tub nut and stripped it 😢. I took the inner tub back out and the split washer looks pretty worn as well as the bottom of the inner tub (pics below). Perhaps I should have bought a new split washer when I got my parts. I got a new nut but not the split washer. In all the videos, it looked like you had to spread the split washer slightly to get it to go over the  mode shifter shaft. When I re-used the original one, it just slid on. Maybe that was a bad sign. There is some metal dust in the outer tub that looks like it's from the wearing of the split washer / tub interface. 

The threads on the mode shifter don't look too bad. Some of the black is worn off but the threads themselves look intact. I think the metal there is hardened so the threads won't wear out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help. And if I'm hosed and just need to bite the bullet on a new washer then please let me know that too.

SplitWasher.jpg?dl=0

TubBottom.JPG?dl=0

Threads.jpg?dl=0