Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool icemaker 628135

Nicky

2 year old whirlpool refrigerator.  Workers put a couple beers in ice bucket. They burst.  Don’t think that had anything to do with failure but arm could have been forced because it never felt right. Ticker shows getting 110 volts to incoming harness. . Not sure on neutral.  No jumper testing works calling for motor function or water fill but when I put 110 volts directly to motor it works. Door water is fine.  Didn’t bother checking inlet valve since no jumping functions work. Anything to check before I buy new icemaker? Thank you. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nicky

• Vance R

• 16345Ed

Remove the cover on the end of ice maker. Look closely at the module, there will be several letters and holes. N is for neutral, L is for line. Put your probe into the respective holes to measure for 120 vac. May have to push on door switch to get voltage.  To get ice maker to cycle you jump T to H with a jumper. Don't use bare a wire 120 vac because is present, make sure to use an insulated jumper

That’s the first thing I did. If you read my post I say no test functions are working with jumpers. I didn't push door switch because everything I’ve ever watched doesn’t mention this and I know my ticker says there was voltage at ice maker at incoming harness.  Thanks

On 9/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Nicky said:

Not sure on neutral

Yup did read your post. Using a volt meter to check complete circuit would be better. Not sure what a ticker is. Presume it was non contact voltage tester. They only let know if voltage is present. So if you have 120 vac using a voltmeter with leads between L and N. This would verify the power circuit and ice maker would the likely failed component.

So I had the supposed bad ice maker with me and bench tested it hooking power up with alligator clips at harness. It not only had power At test points but it Cycled, heater came on and when I called for water I got 110 volts leaving the unit through brown wire.  When connected in freezer everything is dead, but of course it’s back on its original wiring harness. Problem was, with my voltage sensor I checked voltage before the thermal fuse and not after. so thermal fuse  is blown. Not sure how two beer cans left in ice bucket could have caused this.  Do I just get a new harness and assume the heater staying on blew this fuse and was a one time thing or doI get a whole new ice maker? Or do I just get a new plug in and replace the electrics? I have a feeling a new harness would solve it and it was an anomaly but would love your advice. Thanks 

The thermal fuse blew because the mold got too hot. Possible the beer spraying got things wet and caused bi-metal thermostat to stay on too long.  Next depends on how much work you would like to do. Replacing the ice maker with harness would be more of a sure fix. Trying just the harness you may find out the bi-metal is sticking and cause the new fuse to open. I keep a few spare parts from previous kits so replacing the harness would be lower cost. 

• 4 months later...