Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 523.55673407 Evaporator Fan

emitch143

Side by side refrig. evaporator fan kicks on and off 20-30 times before finally staying on. Initially, fan runs less than a second each time but when it gets to around the 15th-20th time, fan runs successively longer (no more than 2 seconds) until it stays on. Compressor, fan, and start relay seem to be working fine.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emitch143

• Vance R

• 16345Ed

Did you mean 253.55673407 ? This one has a adaptive defrost broad and 2 thermostats. Refrig thermostat controls evap fan and damper to cool refrig section. Freezer thermostat controls compressor and condenser fan.  Possible freezer thermostat and/or adaptive defrost board problem. Believe parts sub over to the complete assembly, both thermostats, damper, board and harness.

Yes, 523.55673407. Sorry, I am not proficient in appliances. Please put in layman's terms. How do I determine the problem part?  What does "parts sub over to the complete assembly" mean? Thanks for your patience.

Looks like the same typo - 523.  Just explaining how the thermostat works for this refrig.  Will start with the sub part explanation. If you try to get any individual part  the factory no longer sells them. Instead there is a different part number which is all of the parts together. In your case both thermostats, damper, adaptive defrost module and wire harness as a assembly. Believe you have a defrost board problem - so you will have to get the whole control assembly.

Sorry, yes "253," thanks for the correction. Ok, I understand now. I will research the assembly for purchase and how to install. Many thanks.

Several place on the net

Appliancepartspros

Repairclinic

Partselect

Searspartsdirect

Appliance parts company

Or even eBay

I ordered the adaptive defrost control assembly. I will look on Youtube for installation videos. Mega thanks.

• 2 months later...

Was told by vendor the manufacturer has discontinued making the part. Can part number 242011001 (orange box minus the wires) be used for 5303918476 (I am trying to reduce cost)? Can I reuse the wiring harness in the fridge or is there some benefit in purchasing a replacement wiring harness as well? Thanks.

1 hour ago, emitch143 said:

That is just the defrost module. If your issue is caused by a intermittent defrost board you should be ok. Other possible cause would be one of the thermostats.

Is part number 242011001 (orange box minus the wires) interchangeable with 5303918476 (the part number for my fridge)? The orange box looks the same. Thanks.

Not sure if the parts are interchangeable. You would have to check with the parts supplier.