Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Gas Range Model 91136769 Gas Range. Help Diagnosing Ignition Issue

no_1_u_know

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Kenmore Gas Range Model

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Kenmore Gas Range Model  91136769

https://usermanual.wiki/Kenmore/91136665790.978328865/view

The broiler igniter will not glow. I am trying to determine if it is the igniter or the electronic control board.  I think I know how to test the igniter, and I can get to some of the wiring under the stove. I am trying to avoid pulling the stove out, because it is heavy. Also, I have it  way up on the adjustable feet and don't want to risk bending them.

I see wiring coming into a junction box and leaving the box underneath the oven (I've attached pics).  I'm trying to figure out where to test either the igniter or the board, to see which may be at fault.   

Hoping someone might offer some guidance.

Thanks!

Not sure exactly which model, because the label is damaged, but this is the manual

https://usermanual.wiki/Kenmore/91136665790.978328865/view

The broiler igniter will not glow. I am trying to determine if it is the igniter or the electronic control board.  I think I know how to test the igniter, and I can get to some of the wiring under the stove. I am trying to avoid pulling the stove out, because it is heavy. Also, I have it  way up on the adjustable feet and don't want to risk bending them.

I see wiring coming into a junction box and leaving the box underneath the oven (I've attached pics).  I'm trying to figure out where to test either the igniter or the board, to see which may be at fault.   

Pics below. Hoping someone might offer some guidance.Thanks!

IMG-20190928-112404897.jpg

IMG-20190928-114202146.jpg

Second to last picture in the corner look like the tech sheet. That should have the wiring diagram. Makes troubleshooting easier. Post up a picture if you still need help.

Need a meter with meter leads on each ignitor lead. Check for 120VAC when set to broil  

This is a live voltage test be careful. You can also short gas valve ruining it if you touch the two ignitor leads together with power on so be careful. Or call a professional technician. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Vance R said:

Second to last picture in the corner look like the tech sheet. That should have the wiring diagram. Makes troubleshooting easier. Post up a picture if you still need help.

Yes!  You are correct.  IMG-20190929-105711756.jpg   

3 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Need a meter with meter leads on each ignitor lead. Check for 120VAC when set to broil  

This is a live voltage test be careful. You can also short gas valve ruining it if you touch the two ignitor leads together with power on so be careful. Or call a professional technician. 

Heard!

Looks like the Broiler igniter is V2-V3, do y'all agree?   So, the violet lines in my earlier pic. Is it likely those lines are "nutted" in closer to the igniter, where I cannot see?   I should be able to remove the cover of that junction box (after unplugging power) and test the igniter resistance from there.  

If you are going to turn off power. You sure be able to remove broil igniter and measure resistance at connector.  Most of the time there is a plug connector, you should be able to carefully pull connector through the hole. Sometimes it will be ceramic wire nuts. You can measure resistance at that connector.

On another page is a schematic drawing that shows purple wire going to the BR terminal of control board. So the violet wire are for broil. 

I pulled the igniter screws and tried (not hard - just a little) to pull the connectors through to do a resistance  test. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get to those connectors w/o pulling the back of the unit.  Should I try harder to pull them through?

IMG-20190929-154643515.jpg

I did open the box below the oven. Looks like it contains the safety valve and the spark generating unit for the stove top burners.  One of the purple leads goes to the valve and another to the plug to the right. Not sure if I can check resistance or voltage to the igniter here...  

IMG-20190929-155608883.jpg

Move some of the insulation with a screwdriver to look. The connector may be sideways and may need to moved. It usually comes out coaxing.

Hello All!

I as able to get the igniter out and detach it from the main harness. Igniter is open circuit (OL) and there was 120 V at the main wires, when the broiler was switched on. 

I've ordered the new igniter.

Much appreciation for all of the help!!

N1UK