LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Stuck on 50

melvinsmellvin

melvinsmellvin

Hi people,  I have a problem with an old Amana garage refrigerator.  It's been working fine over the years but I plugged it in a few days ago and have the following problem.   Although the freezer gets cold (0 degree),   the refrigerator area seems to only get down to 48-50 degrees.     I cleaned the bottom condenser coils at front  and vent opening at rear bottom.    I have taken the back panel of freezer compatrment off.   The evaporator coil has no ice at all.        I'm thinking some sort of cold control.   What do you all think?   Open to suggestions.    The fridge is very old so I don't know what parts would be available.   Not even sure where to find it or how to test.    Again,    thanks for any guidance on this.      This is clearly the best DIY site on the internet.

melvinsmellvin

I neglected to mention that adjusting the temperature control of the refrigerator compartment does not seem get me a colder temp.

@melvinsmellvin  

13 minutes ago, melvinsmellvin said:

This is clearly the best DIY site on the internet.

Flattery will get you nowhere. Uh I mean anywhere. Got a model number?

melvinsmellvin

Sorry, I put it in "tag line"  or something.    Anyway it is Amana refrigerator...  Model  TG18RBL   MFG no  P1158303WL   S/N  9301245304

Airflow issue. Ice blockage at the divider between the freezer/fridge. A lot of parts or unavailable for this unit. Check for any ice build up 

Edited by Ian B
  • Like 1

melvinsmellvin

In response to the Ian B comment.......I am finding that it takes some patience and luck to rip in to a 25 year old fridge without breaking plastic tabs etc.    I have not seen any evidence of ice blockage.   Am trying to figure out the air flow of the fridge.   I am now thinking the air damper control may not be working.   It seems to me that to get max amt of cold air to the refrigerator compartment (not freezer) the door on my damper control needs to be closed.    The control is open(exposed) to outside air right now ... i.e. the panel on which it is attached is hanging down.   the door of the refrigerator is open and and garage temp is 55 degrees.    Shouldn't the damper close?   Is there a way to test it.   If it is messed up can i clean and or lubricate it.    Or am i barking up the wrong tree??    Thanks for any help.

melvinsmellvin

Well,  I think I had that A__ backwards.     I took the air damper control out and did a little testing.   I found that when i put the sensor in ice,  it closes the damper door (as far as is allowed by the temp control setting)    When I put heat on the sensor with warm hair dryer,   damper door opens.      I guess this makes sense as more cold air is need in fridge compartment.    I have not figured out exactly how the air flows because I have been unable to remove the foam business with the air tunnels.     I also realize that there could be an ice blockage in it.    how common would that be??    I wish there was something like a Haynes auto repair manual to aid with pictures etc.   Don't see anything on youtube for this 25 year old refrigerator.   Not sure how sheet metal ceiling of fridge compartment comes off.   Trying not to damage this oId fridge as parts are limited.     suppose i could just wait a few days with it unplugged to see if something thaws out.    Any chance the freezer thermostat could be the issue?   It does get to zero so I kinda doubt it.     Any more suggestions as to how I should proceed???    thanks

30 minutes ago, melvinsmellvin said:

Any more suggestions as to how I should proceed??? 

Make sure the light bulb is going out when the door is closed.

Stick your cell phone in there and video it.

Easiest way to clear ice blockages would be a 48 hour doors open, power off defrost. If it starts working after that then you definitely had ice but the real key is stopping it from forming again.

melvinsmellvin

With the help of this forum I think I have found the problem.   I was convinced it was an air flow problem in that the refrigerator seemed to function properly after I removed the air damper control, cleaned it up and put it back in.    I figured it was stuck and was working again.    But not quite.   The next morning the fridge was warm again.   I was about to give up but while checking the temp in the freezer in dark garage I was surprised to see the lower fridge light through the front vent holes of the freezer.    As I said above,  I had checked the light with cell phone video and ruled it out.     However,    It must have been an intermittent  problem.  (the worse kind to diagnose)       I would assume the switch is not striking the door properly or it is defective.    I unscrewed the bulb and temps are doing very well.   Thanks so much for your help.    I have learned about how the air flow is regulated  and  how much heat the bulb generates.    I should have known this as I used to raise hogs and used heat bulbs to warm baby pig areas.       I think I will be able to figure the light problem out.  It's fun to learn something new  (even as an old guy)     Thanks again for getting me through this.   As I said at the outset....best DIY site on the internet.