LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore freezer cooling, but not freezing.

ChrisJohnston80

ChrisJohnston80

As the title says, I have an upright Kenmore freezer (model 106.9203310) that still runs and cools in the 40+ degree range, but it does not freeze.  I bought the freezer used from a friend who had it in their laundry room, but I have it in my garage. I'm in Texas and the summer heat in the garage probably played a huge part in the problem.  This is my first freezer, so I didn't know beforehand that I should have loaded up gallon jugs of water to fill empty spaces in the freezer to keep it from running so hard.  I'm just trying to find out if it will be worth fixing or finding another freezer. 

If someone can point me in the best direction to look first, I would appreciate it. It was a great freezer when it was working properly, and I hate to get rid of something good if I can fix it relatively easily.

Thank you for any and all helpful responses.

Chris

Is the fan on the inside running?  Is there any frost buildup on the back wall , close to the bottom?

• Like 1

ChrisJohnston80

Eva,

Sorry, I just now saw this reply when I thought I had notifications turned on. No frost build-up that I have noticed. It sounds like the fan is running, but I'm at work right now. I will check both again when I get home. I do know that before, if I opened the freezer door to get something out of it, when I closed the door again it sounded like it was drawing air out (maybe not, but the way it played out in my head) and creating a vacuum seal in the freezer. I say that also, because you couldn't immediately re-open the freezer door without quite a bit of resistance for a few seconds while that process occurred. Now, the freezer does not do that.  That may be what you mean by the fan running? Thank you.

Chris

If there is no frost and your fan is running,  if you can see if the compressor is running you will have your answer. If it’s running and not cooling you have major trouble, if it’s not ,it’s either the relay bad or bad compressor.

ChrisJohnston80

Eva,

Ok, I kept forgetting to check, but I looked last night and it sounds like the fan is running.  There is no frost on the outside of the of the unit (where I thought you were asking before, but now I see you likely meant inside), but there is frost on the inside bottom half of the back wall of the unit. Temps inside the unit are colder now, but that's likely because its in the 40's instead of 90's and 100's.

What might that tell us with the frost and likely running fan?  Also, when I'm not in my night clothes, I can go double check about the fan. There's not a visible fan, so I don't know where exactly to look. The parts diagram I have makes it look like its behind the inner liner?

Here's a link to the picture I took. I tried to do the insert image from URL, but it wouldn't work no matter which different site I tried to use to host it. Hopefully I'm not doing something bad and by posting this link.

https://ibb.co/mJV3pBK

I'll investigate that a little more tonight or this weekend.

Thank you again.

Chris

you will have to look behind that panel , if the evaporator is froze just about halfway up ant the rest is clear , it is bad news , need new freezer.  if it is froze solid all the way , you have a self defrost problem , very much worth fixing